Changing fuel tank strainer (W210 E300 TD Saloon) part 1

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
first raise rear of car, support securely (axle stands, ramps etc) and choch wheels. go under the car and locate the strainer and outlet hose, roughly above the diff. it should look like this (pic 1)

then remove the protective boot that covers the strainer. it just pulls off. slide it along the hose out of the way like this (pic 2)

at this point, i removed the end of the hose attached o the metal fuel pipe under the car to start the fuel draining.
remove the trims from inside the boot behind the rear seat. 2 clips under the carpet, 2 screws at the sides and it should slot out from the side trims and the metal lugs at the top. (pic 3 has trim, pic 4 with it removed)

undo the 13mm nuts holding the tank in at each side (pics 5 gives an idea of location)

Attachments

• Photo00012.jpg
    Photo00012.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 1,082
  • Photo00013.jpg
    Photo00013.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 980
  • Photo00014.jpg
    Photo00014.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 911
  • Photo00015.jpg
    Photo00015.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 885
  • Photo00016.jpg
    Photo00016.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 876
OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
changing fuel tank strainer (W210 E300 TD Saloon) part 2

having got the trims etc out and the tank unbolted, slide tank off its mounting studs and lift as high as possible. i used wooden blocks to hold it up as required. (pic 1)

if you then look under the tank through the gap left, you can see the strainer and the outlet pipe quite easily. i used a big adjustable spanner on the strainer and a 19mm open ended spanner on the outlet hose. (pic 2)

simply undo the hose, remove from the strainer, then undo and remove the strainer itself. hopefully the tank should have very little fuel in it by this point. when refitting, just do the reverse, refit strainer before attempting to refit the hose. i tried to fit hose to strainer first and strainer refused to line up with the threads in the tank correctly. id also advise changing the clip on fuel hose clip on the other end of the outlet hose for a proper jubilee type clip. they can be tightened up a little tighterafter removal, unlike the clip on type.

i hope this is useful to others! mods feel free to move to DIY if its of sufficient use/quality!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Attachments

• Photo00019.jpg
    Photo00019.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 653
  • Photo00018.jpg
    Photo00018.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 703

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks for that. glad it was deemed as good enough to go into the diy section!

wvr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270cdi 2003 & Audi 1,8T 2004
hi, ive had a hard time finding a problem with my ml270cdi (pre face lift), first with hard starting, and now it doesnt idle. all the usual tests have been done, and i really meen all. even mb cant find the problem. can u please advise me if it could b a blocked strainer, or is there maybe feed pump in the tank.
thx warrick

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
certain to have a strainer. and a pre filter and fuel filter. any could be blocked! theres an electric fuel pump on cdi engines too. dont think it will be that though. blocked tank or pre filter or an air leak into the fuel gets my vote!

mutleyomels

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 Year 2005
220CDI X Reg Estate.Same problem.I thought i had cured this,as to previous posts advice was fill the tank to over half full,this i did,i filled the filter bowl (New Bosch filter fitted),gave it a shot of Easy Start,started instantly,left running for at least ten mins,then reved up engine no problems,left for at least three hours and car started straight away,test drive it before the wife went out,drove approx 1 mile,cut out,turn key it will fire and stop after 2 secs,i guess there must be a pre filter ?.as this is definitely a fuel supply problem,i previously posed this problem,and so i now need to jack up the rear of the car and look for this pre filter.Urrrrrrrrrrrr.

mutleyomels

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 Year 2005
Just looking through Haynes there shows a pre filter,although the book i have shows the model up to 1999.This one is right on change over year 2000.I have decided to run down to Merc Agent tomorrow and find exactly were this filter is installed.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Haynes? What class do you have C or E?

mutleyomels

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 Year 2005
220 CDI.Up Date.Left car overnight in drive,remember it cut out and would not start,so i turn the key this morning it started straight away,runs for about 2 Min's and cut`s out,i went to MB at Southend had a chat to the parts dept,he states there are no pre filters,and so i then phone MB at Chelmsford,had a chat to stores chap there,he states there is a sensor unit in both sides of the fuel tank,it all points to a blockage in the tank,problem i have now is there is 3/4 of a tank of Diesel to be drained out,i have thought of having a test run on the electrics to see if the chip is shutting it down but instinct tells me it is the fuel tank causing this problem.

mutleyomels

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 Year 2005
Well I am stumped,i have checked back on fuel problem,i fill the filter and start up,i never realized that the filter seal fitted inside the rim of the bowl,not as normal under the cap,hence you must fit genuine MB filter,or a Bosch,so as i have now managed to watch the fuel through the clear plastic pipe i can see fuel flowing into the filter,so now i disconnect the pipe to the common rail,turn key and fuel flows out,tighten back up,and undo the nut to the injector 1 and 3 ,turn engine over,fuel pumping out ok,disconnect the battery for 5 Min's to re`set the alarm,still starts and cuts out,i now guess it is the alarm system cutting the engine out,and so it`s now plug on the diagnosis computer as there must be a fault there some were. ?. Problem is they are so busy it`s a week before they can call round and check..

mutleyomels

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 Year 2005
More information.I have been informed that MB has had problems with two different previous fuel filters as they were allowing air into the system.Now modified,with this car it is now pointing to the lift pump,or possibly the high pressure pump,i am going to purchase the pipe that feeds to the fuel filter as i notice on previous reports that the seals deteriorate and allow air into the system,i am also pondering if this engine can be gravity fed therefore pointing to the lift pump ?.

mutleyomels

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 Year 2005
Fitted new Lift Pump today,needless to say the stupid clips that hold the fuel pipes snaped,and so ordered them,collect in the morning,cannot buy the clips on ther own,have to buy the pipes as well.Update tommorow.

mutleyomels

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 Year 2005
Fitted new pipe,primed the lift pump,turn key pumping fuel nicely,connect all pipes,start engine,tick over running like a dream for five Min's,rev up engine,no problem,allow to tick over nicely,then for no reason it shuts down,back to original problem,but this time i heard a click by the right side of the engine as though something had shut off,so it`s diagnostics in the morning.

mutleyomels

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 Year 2005
Right diagnostics showed up three problems,Injector rail,then No 1 Injector,and ECG. But these were all old problems,and so were cleared anyway.So i tryed starting after faults were cleared,same again engine fires up and stops almost instantly,and so i did what i should have done from the start,Gallon of Diesel empty clear plastic milk bottle (3 Ltr one),hang that from the bonnet, (released to full hight),fill bottle with Diesel,clear plastic tube that will fit onto the feed side of the main fuel filter,cut away the old clear plastic pipe,undo the filter cap slightly that allows the trapped air out,plastic tube into milk bottle,slight suck and quickly slide onto the filter cap feed in,screw down filter cap,turn key and engine fires into life,rev engine all ok,and so it is a case of MB Monday morning to order the pipe from the small filter that connects to the main filter,but i have a suspicion that the possible cause may be the main filter body,or if not from the filter back to the tank,one way i will find this is to suck the clear pipe that i have left on the main to small filter,and get somebody to watch and see if any air bubbles show.More on this saga Tuesday once i get pipe fitted.

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
Is this a CDi common rail engine?

If so don't use a gravity fed fuel supply as the HP will fail.

The fault is almost certainly with the intank lift pump not supplying the correct pressure to the fuel regulator, has this been checked?

Sorry, haven't read all the posts as a bit wordy.

mutleyomels

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 Year 2005
Is this a CDi common rail engine?

If so don't use a gravity fed fuel supply as the HP will fail.

The fault is almost certainly with the intank lift pump not supplying the correct pressure to the fuel regulator, has this been checked?

Sorry, haven't read all the posts as a bit wordy.

Yes 220CDI

mutleyomels

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 Year 2005
Hi David. Well finaly got to MB today and collected the pipe,before i fitted it i filled the mail fuel filter with diesel,connected the pipe,turn key and engine fired straight away,it run untill the fuel drained from the filter,there was an air bubble that showed as engine was running but that has now passed on into the lift pump and fuel showing clear no air.Now i am guessing it has to go to MB for these checks. ?.

mutleyomels

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 Year 2005
David.Finaly got the answer you are correct it has come down to the pump in the tank,weather been so bad i have not been able to drain the tank,so I hopefully will compleate draining today,problem is it is full up,just a case of confirming the cost of the part from Wellingbrough now.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom