Changing SLK Gearbox Filter? This may be useful.

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Today I went to change the Gear Box (GB) fluid (I have in the end bought MB fluid) and filter on a 1999 SLK. Everything Ok until I went to undo the front 2 bolts. Heads broke off. Well I thought that I was in for hell of a job, but because the clamps are Aluminum and the bolts go all the way through the clamps, after a struggle the clamp freed it'self from the bolt shank and left it proud of the GB housing so that it could be twisted out. This was something that I did not expect and so had to get some bolts quickly. Good job it was a Friday. So if you are thinking of removing the GB sump cover, make sure that you get new bolts first. May be obvious to some but not to others.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Its so common, a lot of them break of, as you say though, you can get some grips on there and easy remove the broken studs out!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
often just tightening a touch will release the threads that have stuck

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Same happened to me last year although only 1 broke. For the price of these, always best buy a couple of bolts in advance of doing the job, just in case.

Same applies to brake caliper bleed nipples. Glad I bought 4 new ones before bleeding, as the old ones had to be undone with mole grips due to rust

I notice that more and more nipples are being replaced now as part of standard bleeding

Top Bottom