Chasing a repair

swanee59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 CDI w203
Hello good people, my first post and it’s an insurance problem.
My Merc a C200CDi /04 was effectively sandwiched in a supermarket car park a fortnight ago.
I was parked in bay when my MB was hit on the offside front and pushed five feet into a Ford which also suffered severe damage.
http://s973.photobucket.com/albums/ae213/Malcolm59uk/
The third party’s insurers have admitted liability but have not given approval to the repair workshop (MB approved) for some reason.
I suspect they wish to write off my MB as the quote was £6000 – I strongly disagree and as it was a No Fault Claim on my part am pressing them for a return to pre-accident state.
I have only owned the MB for eight months and it’s my first one after spending over a year searching for this particular vehicle, brilliant silver, low mileage, one owner before me and even the brand of tyres I prefer, with absolutely no rust.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to a method of obtaining a decent outcome to this situation, can I speed up the lack of response of the third part’s insurance company?
Thanks for any input - Swanee59

Last edited:

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
The advice I was given following my recent claim was that you can specify exactly which repairer you want.

Have you spoken to your insurer - they might be able to help.

OP
S

swanee59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 CDI w203
Seeker_UK
I don't have a problem with the repair workshop - just trying to get authorisation.

Swanee59

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Have they made any offer at all,,and would it be better to go through your own insurer,, this would not affect your no claim bonus

OP
S

swanee59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 CDI w203
Television,
I have not yet contacted my own insurance co. as all is being handled by Accident Exchange, who did provide a like for like courtesy car. I assume I only need to notify my own Co. at renewal time.
Swanee59

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry I cant answer about accident exchange as this is new to me,, My own insurance dealt with my car when hit while parked for me.

Is the damage worse than it looks,as only the 2 front wings seem to have taken the worst of it

OP
S

swanee59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 CDI w203
Television,
Yes, far worse than it looks, wheels, front sub-frame and suspension all bent + both wings and bumper.
Hit reckoned to be at at least 30 mph. Honda fast in reverse! I think that's how it moved my stationary diesel five plus feet to the left.
Swanee59

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
No You must inform your own insurance company immediately, Accident Exchange are an accident management company and are only interested in their ability to make money from the insurance company.. the longer you have a car hired from them the more money thay make..
Has an engineer been appointed to assess your vehicle. if so ring him and ask what the problem is..if he tells you he is working on behalf of someone else and that he cannot give you the information.. inform him the vehicle belongs to you and you have a right to know.. ..
Where is your car? have it taken to the garage of your choice, let no one tell you where u can have the repairs done ..your rights ...
Has an offer been made.. you must be kept informed of any offers / decisions made
iIf you are dealing with the third party insurance company, they will want to settle as soon as possible, you can negotiate to have your car returned to you if it is written off
I would suggest you get a price to repair your car from a few different garages..
then negotiate that price and look for discounts.
The ideal situation would be to have your car restored to original condition, and you would have enought money left over to cover all your expenses..
Remember if the car is written off , you will no longer be entitled to a hire car.. you should negotiate withthe company for an extra two weeks hire..
remember also that you wont have a vehicle whilst yours is being repaired if it is written off..
finally would you be happy driving a damaged repaired car.. it will never be the same..

OP
S

swanee59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 CDI w203
Xtractorfan,
Thank you for your input, I can expect a hard day on the phone tomorrow after your info.
Swanee59

stuartmac

Reaction score
Hi,

can I speed up the lack of response of the third part’s insurance company?
Unfortunately, you don't say how long it's been. However, as I wrote in a recent thread on a similar subject, the third-party insurer is, legally, merely the at-fault driver's agent; your claim is, ultimately, against the at-fault driver.

Officially, you should contact the at-fault driver in writing, setting out the problem (the time elapsed without repair authorisation by his/her insurer) and stating that, if repairs authorisation is not given within ten working days (the usual period expected by a court), you will issue a County Court Summons (£6,000 is too big for a Small Claims Court action) against him/her.

Unofficially, I would first contact the at-fault driver by 'phone, politely explain the problem and where they stand legally (you can double-check my advice with Consumer Direct - 08454 040506) and would he/she kick his/her insurers up their collective backside.

I suspect they wish to write off my MB as the quote was £6000 – I strongly disagree and as it was a No Fault Claim on my part am pressing them for a return to pre-accident state.
Unfortunately, there isn't any legal requirement for the third-party insurer to pay more than the vehicle is worth now.

However, if the write-off/repair decision is finely-balanced financially, what you need to be doing is subtly persuading the third-party insurer that the repair option is the one that will cause them the least amount of grief. E.g.:-

after spending over a year searching for this particular vehicle,
... does the third-party insurer know this? And that you will spend a similar amount of time, at their expense, searching for a replacement if they write this one off? The company need to be aware that a similar vehicle - for they are legally-obliged to return you to your pre-accident state - is unlikely to be found in a local second-hand car dealer.

No You must inform your own insurance company immediately,
Well, theoretically, yes; however, very much depends on his insurance company. They will register that a claim has been made and, until it is fullysettled, it is 'unsettled' or 'open' and will count against him at renewal time. Moreover, adding his insurance company to the list of those involved could simply slow things down even more; that the accident management company seems to be doing what it says on their tin, and only the third-party insurer is slowing things down, seems to be a good a reason as any for not involving yet another insurance company.

have it taken to the garage of your choice, let no one tell you where u can have the repairs done
Sorry, but I disagree. The car is at an MB-approved repairer. If he has it moved, particularly to a non-approved repairer, as the at-fault driver's insurer remains legally-responsible for the quality of any repairs, further delay will occur while the insurer insists on a signed waiver from 'swanee59'. :(

'swanee59': I see you aren't far from me (I'm in Sevenoaks). Is the MB-approved repairer the one in Edenbridge? If so, they fixed our W210 E320CDI on behalf of Direct Line when a third party scraped a wing in a car park a couple of years ago: high-quality repair (now we just need someone to scrape the other wing, which is going rusty ;) ).

Hth.

Regards,

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Not sure about the construction of the 203. Possibly everything is bolted to the subframe, which will be replaced in which case its just the cost thats going be a major issue.
My only point is, if the structural damage is so severe, think carefully whether you really want it back. My experience is that once you start messing with the chassis, no matter how well done, repairs are never 100% and the car never runs perfectly straight. You get unresolvable wobbles, odd tyre wear etc
Hopefully its a non issue in your case, but worth checking.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not sure about the construction of the 203. Possibly everything is bolted to the subframe, which will be replaced in which case its just the cost thats going be a major issue.
My only point is, if the structural damage is so severe, think carefully whether you really want it back. My experience is that once you start messing with the chassis, no matter how well done, repairs are never 100% and the car never runs perfectly straight. You get unresolvable wobbles, odd tyre wear etc
Hopefully its a non issue in your case, but worth checking.

A very good point JB and will it ever be the same again,,all of the suspension components could be a little bit out, it would be recorded probably

Dave Brooker

Reaction score
Television,
I have not yet contacted my own insurance co. as all is being handled by Accident Exchange, who did provide a like for like courtesy car. I assume I only need to notify my own Co. at renewal time.
Swanee59

The longer an accident managment company can draw out a claim, the more money they get.

You need to contact your own insurance company, and get things sorted out properly.

OP
S

swanee59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 CDI w203
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your responses I have seen the vehicle and surprising as it may seem the actual chassis appears undamaged. If I manage to get the repairs authorised and it doesn't feel right when driven it will go back to bodyshop - have no fear of that!!!
Swanee59

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
You should not be so involved--your own insurance should authorise and pay for the repair (after an assement)--they will then claim from the 3rd party on your behalf ---who are you with ?

OP
S

swanee59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 CDI w203
Dave Brooker,
The Accident Exchange have not been the problem, Churchill Ins.Co. are now saying the vehicle has not been assessed as it was not at the bodyshop when they visited. According to the manager of the bodyshop the vehicle has been assessed.
Some ends are obviously not tied together.
Swanee59

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Thier problem kid -not yours also to speed things up a little tell them your not happy with the replacement car and starting next week you want an equivilant car to the one you were driving --I think they will sort it rather quickly if they need to hire a MB for a few weeks ?

OP
S

swanee59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 CDI w203
Teddycatkin,
Thanks for that thought, however I am already driving around in a C200 CDi sport /08 however the seats are really uncomfortable, it must be costing a small fortune and they know this.
I cannot, for the life of me, see why the third party ins.co. are causing this problem.
Swanee59

OP
S

swanee59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 CDI w203
Update gentlemen,
Repairs have now been authorised, should be completed by the31st July.
I will let you know how good after this date.
Swanee59

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update gentlemen,
Repairs have now been authorised, should be completed by the31st July.
I will let you know how good after this date.
Swanee59

Good one,,thank you for posting:D:D

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom