Check Component Y53y2 - Left rear axle damping valve.

CrustyClam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
Hi,

Recently I have felt my car has being suffering from a harsh ride., anyway after a decent drive today I stopped to fill up at the shell garage. On starting the car I had a malfunction error appear related to airmatic, drove home ok, turned the car off and on, the error on the display disappeared.

The error code (historic and self cleared) was Check component Y53y2 (left rear solenoid valve 2) in assembly Y53(left rear axle damping valve unit)

Does anyone know if this is likely to be the airmatic shock itself, or is it referring to the valve block in the engine bay that supplies the air to all the struts?

Also given that the code refers to damping, could this maybe explain the harsh ride?

I have my car booked in for the 17th for a check on the transmission and an overall suspension check, hoping the fault won't become permanent before then. If the suspect was the valve block I could be tempted to order one before my car goes in.

Thanks

OP
CrustyClam

CrustyClam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
Hmm, after much reading thinking it's more likely the shock absorber. Out of interest do MB do a refurbished exchange? I had the rear right shock replaced last year, the part alone was £491 + vat. Looking now it would have made more sense to replace the pair with Areosus (the pair were cheaper...oh well to late now.)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I believe MB do exchange units but from what I understand ( as you have) a pair is probably cheaper from Aerosus

OP
CrustyClam

CrustyClam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
I believe MB do exchange units but from what I understand ( as you have) a pair is probably cheaper from Aerosus

Thanks, will give the main dealer a ring then to see what the price difference is between refurbished and new.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
MB don't show the Shock absorber available as re-man for me, £500 + VAT

Top Bottom