check engine light

OP
Chas

Chas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320
Thanks Malcolm, I bet you are right, an 11 year old car with 96k probably needs a new MAF anyway :):) Why did it not show up as a fault on diagnostics ?

Last edited:
OP
Chas

Chas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320
Airmass or a pair of leads to start the guessing off, you no we want fault codes Chas.......

The findings yesterday were" B37 POTENTIOMETER (THROTTLE PEDAL) stored fault, actuation and actual test within spec,
Cleared fault memory and tested, no fault " Car running ok, no problems........

Started car this morning, check engine light back on, same symptons as before

Update

I disconnected the battery for an hour, reconnected, started her up and engine check light not showing, but still reduced throttle power. Switched ignition off, took key out, started her up again and running perfect

Must be one of those annoying electrical things ?
I still suspect the MAF.........

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The maf seldom comes up on a STAR test, you have to read between the lines with what is faulty or plausible on the read out

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
The findings yesterday were" B37 POTENTIOMETER (THROTTLE PEDAL) stored fault, actuation and actual test within spec,
Cleared fault memory and tested, no fault " Car running ok, no problems........

Started car this morning, check engine light back on, same symptons as before

Update

I disconnected the battery for an hour, reconnected, started her up and engine check light not showing, but still reduced throttle power. Switched ignition off, took key out, started her up again and running perfect

Must be one of those annoying electrical things ?
I still suspect the MAF.........

So now you have the mil light back on the fault code should be read again. It could well be the potentiometer

OP
Chas

Chas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320
Update

Disconnected battery again.......... removed and unplugged the throttle pedal, reconnected pedal, fired her up, took a 20 mile drive in sports mode ( semi auto) went like a dream no errors!
Maybe the sensor plug /socket had residue or something ? Could I have removed oxidation and restored the electrical current?

Last edited:
OP
Chas

Chas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320
Touch wood......... still running sweet today :)

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
When my tps first started to fail i tried switch cleaner. Worked for first few trips then failed again

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Chas

Chas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320
When my tps first started to fail i tried switch cleaner. Worked for first few trips then failed again

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Did you pull the pedal plugs out and insert them a few times also ?

OP
Chas

Chas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320
Update

My car is still ok, MB tech said they had another W220 with exactly the same problem as mine and asked if I would bring my car in to compare readouts. I duly oblidged, the other car is still showing PO120 code in STAR, mine oddly enough flashes up the same code for a second on STAR then shows no fault code !

Fingers crossed mine is still ok :)

OP
Chas

Chas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320
Update, problem reoccurred ! New pedal being ordered. MB have sold 143 throttle pedals this year for S class models, I am told :shock:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom