Chipex

Bertie Wooster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320cdi
Hello Chaps,

Has anyone got experience of the Chipex stonechip repair system.
www.chipex.co.uk
I've stupidly managed to put a small "beauty spot" on my bootlid. No dent or anything, but its through the topcoat and down to the undercoat.
Colour is 744 Brilliant Silver (With the ceramic lacquer if that matters).
I know it'll not be entirely invisible, but I'd like to get something done in between bouts of kicking myself.

Thoughts anyone ?

Best,
Bertie

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Funnily enough I purchased a kit for my car but as yet have not used it.

I will be interested in any replies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
I've used it on several cars - absolutely brilliant.

For gravel rash, use the rubber glove method & smear the colour over the rash. The best hint I can give is go easy when removing the excess as it's very easy to remove the stuff you wanted to remain (but simple to redo) & don't use too much of the solvent stuff (which does nothing to the original paint). Don't press hard, in fact really gentle.

Colour match is 100%

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes it is very good stuff, but do not try it under 20c outside or you may not lose the mark. They same goes for any paint.

BernardB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL600 (W216) 2006
I've been doing some research on Chipex because I've got some tiny chips along the edges of the doors (presumably due to carelessness by previous owner/s). According to the reviews I've read there is not much consensus about Chipex (it's either brilliant or useless) except that you should not expect any repair to be completely invisible. Something to do with the way the paint flecks lie, apparently.

I'm taking the car to the Mercedes bodyshop tomorrow to discuss. If I learn anything interesting there I'll post again.

OP
B

Bertie Wooster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320cdi
Thanks for the replies guys. Based on a bit of research, as well as what's been said here, I've went ahead and ordered a kit.
I'll report back when the job is done, but I'm intrigued to say the least!
Thanks again!

Best,
Bertie

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I'm watching with interest as well , the YouTube vids make it look vary dooable .

OP
B

Bertie Wooster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320cdi
Well, I'll say this, if the product is as good as their customer service then I'll be very happy indeed.
Whilst ordering, I couldn't see anywhere to input an advertised 10% off voucher for new customers. I went ahead and ordered anyway, following up with an email to explain what had occurred and asking if this could be remedied.
An hour later (by this time almost 7 o'clock!) I get a phone call from the owner himself to apologise and let me know that he'd already processed a PayPal refund for the difference. Spot on!
We also had a very interesting conversation about the product. Best practice does indeed seem to be apply little and often, building up many layers. Unfortunately Brilliant Silver does seem to be a tricky one to match, but with a bit of time and patience, it's possible to get a good result.
We shall see!

Best
Bertie

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Any feelings on whether this will be successful with the usual vandal key scratch (deep) over metallic?
Watching your thread with interest. Any other solution suggestions?

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom