Choking engine Silver Shadow

OP
P

Pinewood

Reaction score
While the pump is off lower the pump head into a bowl of diesel and run the pump backwards and see how much crud comes out

Dear Malcolm and all other post replies.

I cleaned and renewed the rear fuel filter, took off the pump and had it checked, put on a new distributor cap and rotor arm, and today it drove beautifully, it purred.

Thank you to all who helped.

Kindest
Pinewood

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thank you for the good news,,that took me back in time

flaminia

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e200w210x2 lancia flaminia coupe,lambo urraco
pinewood RR

hi wireman sounds good with his reply when I had a bodyshop RR Bently these cars standing for long periods sometimes had choke flap issues fuel pumps can be a problem .I recently sold an restored mgb new everything 10 years ago including tank I left it in my barn for that ten years while rebuilding house on trying to start MG found fuel tank and pump with an enormous amount of gunge had to renew again.I have just found out myself on an E200 the problem looks huge when it does not run but dont take the car apart it was 2 batteries in remote. You are brave buying one of those Mike

Gary Hanson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Jag. Jags are my favourite.
Reading this reminded me of a Rover SD1 - 3.5s I had the misfortune to own in the early 1990s. It had a rusty fuel tank filler neck, which was allowing rainwater into the petrol tank. The car would start easily enough, but once driven up the road, water would mix with the fuel and the engine spluttered and cut out.

We had a similar but more intermittent problem with a customers' Mazda 626. To confirm the diagnosis, we put got a can of petrol [STRIKE] and torched it[/STRIKE], er I mean we put it in the passenger footwell, ran a pipe into the engine bay and connected it to the carb. The car ran fine, and when we drained the tank, it had water in the fuel.

Top Bottom