Cigarette lighter element.

Dave B1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 C Class 1.8 C180 Kompressor 2 door (auto)
This might sound a silly question, but should my 2007 C180 2 door (coupe) have a cigarette lighter plug? (the bit you press in to light a ciggy) Only had the car a few weeks and I've just noticed it isn't present in the ashtray socket, so I'm thinking the previous owner used the socket to power something else.

I rarely smoke, and certainly wouldn't in a car, but would like to have a cigarette plug in situ just to make things look tidier.

There are ciggy plugs advertised on Ebay for around a fiver (apparently suitable for Mercedes), but I just thought I'd ask if anyone has purchased an item like that, before possibly wasting a few quid.

Many thanks.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I would guess a 2007 should have had the lighter element, I think you’re right that a previous owner took it out and used the socket maybe to power a mobile phone or sat nav or something.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
my 2007 R Class did not come with a ciggy lighter ..... I'd have thought that if it originally came with a lighter then it'd have had an ash tray too.

My 2008 Smart has a ciggy lighter and it has an ashtray (both un-used)

OP
D

Dave B1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
my 2007 R Class did not come with a ciggy lighter ..... I'd have thought that if it originally came with a lighter then it'd have had an ash tray too.

My 2008 Smart has a ciggy lighter and it has an ashtray (both un-used)

Thanks John and Emily's Dad.

I've checked the handbook (which I should have done in the first place) and it looks like I have the non-smoking package. So no lighter plug would have been provided. There should be a cover for the socket though, which if the handbook is corect is supposed to hinge to the right to open. Anyway it isn't there. Makes me wonder if it got broken and was discarded. Oh well, such is life.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

I've checked the handbook (which I should have done in the first place) and it looks like I have the non-smoking package. So no lighter plug would have been provided. There should be a cover for the socket though, which if the handbook is corect is supposed to hinge to the right to open. Anyway it isn't there. Makes me wonder if it got broken and was discarded. Oh well, such is life.
You can get a blank plug on ebay or similar for very little money....

OP
D

Dave B1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can get a blank plug on ebay or similar for very little money....

Yes, cheers John. I'll be going down that line. I just want to get something that will protect the hole from dust or foreign objects etc. I'm in the process of trying to suss out something Merc compatible (or if power sockets on all cars are all a similar diameter).

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

The socket at the front of my car has no cover (hinged or not) though the other 3 dotted about the car do have. It's never occurred to me that the socket up front should've had a cover

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Yes, cheers John. I'll be going down that line. I just want to get something that will protect the hole from dust or foreign objects etc. I'm in the process of trying to suss out something Merc compatible (or if power sockets on all cars are all a similar diameter).
I think the Vauxhall ciggy lighters must be bigger as phone chargers etc used to rattle round in the socket of my Senators & Omega

A 5p just fits a ciggy socket nicely ....... :rolleyes:

OP
D

Dave B1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think the Vauxhall ciggy lighters must be bigger as phone chargers etc used to rattle round in the socket of my Senators & Omega

A 5p just fits a ciggy socket nicely ....... :rolleyes:

Thanks for that Emily's Dad. I'm pretty sure my ashtray/power socket should have a flap, because I can feel two small lugs to the right of the hole (presumably where it hinges). If I can sus out a way of posting an image, I will (have saved one off Ebay, same as the ashtray I have fitted).

There we go below (showing the missing flap)

ps. Btw, I like your avatar. Are you into classic bus preservation?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

ps. Btw, I like your avatar. Are you into classic bus preservation?

I'm afraid not .... the are enough cars at our house without bringing a bus home :D It was a bus that was parked up at a local country park & I live in Bury. :)

The bus was originally from a few miles away in Rawtenstall (reg MTB 848)

Last edited:
OP
D

Dave B1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm afraid not .... the are enough cars at our house without bringing a bus home :D It was a bus that was parked up at a local country park & I live in Bury. :)

The bus was originally from a few miles away in Rawtenstall (reg MTB 848)

It looks a nicely preserved vehicle, from a time when towns had their own livery for buses, usually with the coats of arms displayed too. Now it's mostly just boring Stagecoach stuff we see where we are in Lancashire (I feel I can say that having worked for them haha!).

Sorry for digressing Mercedes lovers.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom