CL window freezes

Steve Tallyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL/2005/500
Hi all.
Did anyone ever get to the bottom of the “CL (215 model) window won’t drop when frozen” syndrome?
Mine isn’t getting stuck to the rubber - it gets frozen inside the door. If I’m alert to a frosty night I drop the window a little by leaning in from the passenger side and blipping the driver’s window button once or twice quickly.
Not ideal but it’s all I can do.
It drives me nuts when I get caught out.
Thanks.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi all.
Did anyone ever get to the bottom of the “CL (215 model) window won’t drop when frozen” syndrome?
Mine isn’t getting stuck to the rubber - it gets frozen inside the door. If I’m alert to a frosty night I drop the window a little by leaning in from the passenger side and blipping the driver’s window button once or twice quickly.
Thanks.
Happens on my Clk in the frosts , especially when it has been wet in the day then freezes . What I do if I know I need to get into the car early morning is spray something like Autoglym vinyl rubber spray along the bottom half inch of glass above the door seal , this seemed in my case to allow enough lube to stop it sticking .
Or keeping a can of de icer spray handy .

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Same here with my 55.
Now that the 500 is outside until the garage is free, be interesting to see if it does it.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Hi all.
Thanks.

Take the door panel off and use McNett silicone grease on the door glass runners
and any other contact areas that might affect its operation.

OP
S

Steve Tallyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL/2005/500
Take the door panel off and use McNett silicone grease on the door glass runners
and any other contact areas that might affect its operation.
Take the door panel off. Hmmmm. Is that an easy job for a competent DIYer? I’ll have a go if there’s no risk of breaking clips etc.
Thanks.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
This is a common problem with all frameless car doors. Some silicone spray certainly helps, don't forget that its not just the bottom seal, but also the vertical areas of contact with the back window seal and the front runner near the door mirror and the top seal against the roof.

I used to use some type of grease that I got from a Volvo dealer, but ran out ages ago.

A competent DIYer can remove the door panel, but quite a few of the fixings are hidden e.g. the corner door/window vent has a hidden screw in it).

If you do go to try and remove the door card remember that the seat control panel has a release latch accessible once the vent has been removed and MUST BE LIFTED VERTICALLY otherwise you'll break off the locating lugs that slot down behind the panel.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Take the door panel off. Hmmmm. Is that an easy job for a competent DIYer? I’ll have a go if there’s no risk of breaking clips etc.
Thanks.
Before taking the door panel off , try the other methods . Always start with the easiest first .

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
On the 500 the windows still drop slightly when it is iced up, might be due the Gummy Pledge I soaked the rubbers in plus I squirted some down the runners, though not highly recommended as every time the windows ate rolled down it comes back up covered in slimy mess :rolleyes:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom