CL500 - ‘patch up or full respray’?

Sl500er

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W215 CL500 [Also Owned W221, W220, R129, R230, W211]
Hi Everyone,

I have just bought a silver w215 cl500 ‘06 in very good condition.. I feel it needs to be fettled further to bring it back to near showroom condition (feel that the car deserves the attention)

The bodywork has been ceramic treated with g-tech however... there’s some corrosion and I need guidance on the best approach. The areas affected are:

Rear wheel arches (quite a bit), sunroof area (small bubble), bonnet ( many stone chips), a pillar (small bubble), c pillar (usual place), sills near wheel arches

Shall,I go for a full reapray or just address each area separately or... is there another approach? I don’t want the car to look like a patchwork quilt and would like to halt the corrosion issues..

Also, any reccomendations for a suitable car spray shop in Merseyside /Cheshire?

Cheers, PC

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Hi Everyone,

I have just bought a silver w215 cl500 ‘06 in very good condition.. I feel it needs to be fettled further to bring it back to near showroom condition (feel that the car deserves the attention)

The bodywork has been ceramic treated with g-tech however... there’s some corrosion and I need guidance on the best approach. The areas affected are:

Rear wheel arches (quite a bit), sunroof area (small bubble), bonnet ( many stone chips), a pillar (small bubble), c pillar (usual place), sills near wheel arches

Shall,I go for a full reapray or just address each area separately or... is there another approach? I don’t want the car to look like a patchwork quilt and would like to halt the corrosion issues..

Also, any reccomendations for a suitable car spray shop in Merseyside /Cheshire?

Cheers, PC

A patch-up is just that; give it 5 minutes and where the rust was tidied up and sprayed, it will be back as bad as ever! Bubbling rust needs to be cut out and either patch panels let in or metal fabricated to suit. On the other hand, stone chips can be tidied up by a good body shop without necessarily spraying the entire panel. I grazed the front wing and bumper of mine coming out of the garage recently and put it into a body shop my son uses. He cleaned up the area, blended in the colour (Palladium) and re-lacquered the whole wing to a point where even if you knew it had been done you wouldn't see the repair. OK it cost me £200, but to me it was worth it.

In your case, depending on the extent of the damage, it might make a better job, if your car is a keeper, to do the job properly and end with a complete respray. At the end of the day, find a good body shop and take their advice.

Ernie

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom