CL500 - Can't get in

ebyjpaul

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL600/2003/V8
The battery is completely dead on my 2003 CL500, and I can't open the doors, trunk, or hood. The windows need to go down a little in order to be able to open the door. The blade on my key isn't opening the doors or trunk. If I could get access to the trunk, I could probably jump the battery, but right now I can't get into it at all. Anyone have any advance? Thank you in advance!

dozypillock

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Elegance 2002 C209
The battery is completely dead on my 2003 CL500, and I can't open the doors, trunk, or hood. The windows need to go down a little in order to be able to open the door. The blade on my key isn't opening the doors or trunk. If I could get access to the trunk, I could probably jump the battery, but right now I can't get into it at all. Anyone have any advance? Thank you in advance!

I have heard people use silicone spray in the locks, repeatedly, until the tumblers move again. Will take a while, and you have to be patient, but if you try it in both, it may help?

Neil

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you can jack the car, connect a battery charger to the large wire on the starter motor and the remotes will work again,,,

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
It will be easier getting to the back of the alternator.

Will Barber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 CL500 (4.7L M278)
ebyjpaul

I have literally just had exactly the very same problem on my 2005 CL500.
You should be able to get in the boot with your key blade.... yes it is a bit confusing but here's how to do it:
Insert the blade into the lock barrel and turn 90 degrees clockwise.
With the blade still in the 90 degree position, push the blade and barrel upwards hard - the boot should unlock!

Once you're in, you may find exactly the same problem I have had.....
Yes you will need to connect a wet cell battery charger to the battery.
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BE TEMPTED TO "BOOST" START THE CAR AS YOU MAY SERIOUSLY DAMAGE SOME OF THE CONTROL MODULES!
Leave the battery to charge for at least 2 hours before attempting to open the doors and 8 hours before attempting to start the engine.

If you're as unlucky as I was, and the battery has been left flat for a few days (mine was just 4 days in the recent cold snap), the problem is that the capacitor within the air bag control module will also run out of power. This will result in the air bag CM being no longer aligned with the car. This will be evident after 3 seconds of the ignition being activated by illuminating the “SRS Fault – Visit Workshop” warning continuously!
Only STAR can re-align the air bag CM. I’m off to MB Tech in Warrington this Friday to hopefully realign the module…. I can’t think of any reason as to why this should not be possible.
Regards, Will

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom