CL500 centre roof module dead

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hi all,

Just bought my first MB and have some issues. I picked up a secondhand W reg CL500 on 120k miles for what I'm hoping is a bargain, however there are a couple of things that may prove an expensive fix. Nb the car has black leather interior in vvgc, no apparent corrosion, is dead straight everywhere.

The third issue (first posted re seat, second re engine) concerns the centre roof module. It is completely dead, sunroof doesn't work, reading lamps don't work. When I bought it the car's battery was utterly flat, have tried charging it but looks like it's knackered so I will be replacing it today.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? There are no other electrical problems, all seat electrics, console/ dash electrics work fine.

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
If it's anything like the roof module on my SL, as in it is an ECU type thing, then it might be easier to replace then you think. Mine was a bit of a pain to get to but not too bad, once removed I just made a note of the part number on the side of it and typed it into ebay, I ended up buying a replacement (used) from canada, it was about £100 delivered and works fine.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Have you checked the fuse for the OCP

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Thank you all for your replies. This forum seems to be very helpful to a MB noob like I!

No I haven't checked any fuses yet- today has seen the cruise liner battery in the boot changed out- now the car can start under it's own power. I was hoping that this might solve the problem but it hasn't.

Fuses will be the next thing to check. Will give that a try and report back.

When bought the car also had a red "BRAKE" appearing to the left side of the combi meter; this is now joined by a yellow "ABS" in semi circles on the right side of the combi meter, and apparently no brake fluid in the reservoir- the last MOT advisory was corroded brake lines, so that's job #1 to get fixed when I can get it to the garage.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Any tome just ask away, you are welcome. :D:D

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Not saying this is your problem, but at that age likely, ABS modules across the board from all car manufacturers are designed to fail. On many you don't even need to touch a brake pipe, just unscrew the ecu and post off for repair.

from the connecting multiplug to the ecu circuit board they fit one wire designed to corrode and fail, its a simple repair quite few companies now fix for 100 to 150 quid and guarantee for life

IMG_0249.jpg

I've had it on my omega 13 years and 76k miles, my bmw motorbike 7 years and 18,000 miles and my sisters Fabia did it within 4 years 45,000 miles and we threw the car away coz dealer wanted 1500 quid, shame I didn't know about these guys back then !!!

http://www.ecutesting.com/

http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx

Last edited:
OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well further updates...

after much cursing I've finally located the rear fuse box, found fuse 77 (controls sunroof and reading lamps- me thinking, that MUST be the culprit- and even better, its a 40A fuse...) but nope, the fuse be fine. So looks like I'll have to source a new centre roof module from somewhere.

Regarding the ABS warning, I just fired her (or rather, him- he has today acquired the name of "Gunther") up, and no ABS warning lamp lit. So I'm hoping that that was intermittent and caused by the low brake fluid pressure. I shall buy some brake fluid in the week and top up the level, just to make it safe to drive to the garage.

Further updates as they happen.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fuse 26 rated at 10 amp is for the OCP

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
ABS modules across the board from all car manufacturers are designed to fail. On many you don't even need to touch a brake pipe, just unscrew the ecu and post off for repair.

found the site for the one that do the 7g "electro plate speed sensor" fault... actronics link below...

from the connecting multiplug to the ecu circuit board they fit one wire designed to corrode and fail, its a simple repair quite few companies now fix for 100 to 150 quid and guarantee for life

IMG_0249.jpg

I've had it on my omega 13 years and 76k miles, my bmw motorbike 7 years and 18,000 miles and my sisters Fabia did it within 4 years 45,000 miles and we threw the car away coz dealer wanted 1500 quid, shame I didn't know about these guys back then !!!

http://www.ecutesting.com/

http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx

http://www.actronics.eu/en/

[/QUOTE]

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom