CL500 Keyless Entry

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2002 & C350 CDI 2010
Guys

My CL500 shows the message "Chip not reconised" when i try using the keycard. (Although it locks and unlocks from the buttons on card)

Im waiting to get Andy at PCD to put it on Star for some other bits. Ive now lost the card!!!!

If the car is unlocked, and i push the button on the door handle, or the button on the gear shift, i get the message "Chip not reconised" on the dash.. Does this indicate the card is somewhere in the car? Or is it a standard message?

Ive turned car and house inside and out.

Cheers

Tel

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500.W216 + C300 Coupe AMG Line 2018
On the S Class sometimes i get "Chip not reconised" if the keycard is in my jacket on the back seat if i then put my jacket on the front seat it will let me start the car.

Your card could still be in the car but out of range of the keycard sensor if the battery in the keycard is low.

OP
Boydonegood

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So am i correct in thinking that to recieve the message on the dashboard, the card must be in or near the vehicle?

At least it means i can stop searching the house and concentrate on looking inside the car.

So in theory i havent "lost" my card... Just my car has hidden it from me??

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500.W216 + C300 Coupe AMG Line 2018
Does sound like the card is somewhere in the car, did you not have two keycards with the CL, my S500 came with two, I believe they cost in the reign of £200 for a replacment.

Keep looking, hope you find it.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Unfortunately, not.

I believe that all it means is that it the car can't detect a key within range for that function.

If it reads a key that it recognises and the key is in the vehicle then it shouldn't be possible to lock the car using any of the external buttons e.g. door handle or boot (if you have powered close).

I'll double check with my car, although I have the later, single key version.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
^ +1 for that - my SL would display that message on the dash if I tried to open it but didn't have the keys about me, so back to upending the house I think!

Also, when I think about it, it would refuse to lock if a key was in the boot so there's a good chance it would do the same for a key in the car (otherwise anyone could get it to open for them by touching the door handle)

OP
Boydonegood

Boydonegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Aw balls!!
I was kinda counting on the fact the car is smaller than the house to search!!

The card has never been recognised by the car so was relying on the fact as I'm getting "chip not recognised" message it was at least in range.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
I may be wrong and given the size of a car vs the size of a house, I would start on the one with wheels !!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
New keyless go, at least the one where the key and car are one and the same, doesnt let you lock the key in the car. It knows where in the car it is (or in the boot :)

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
you're sure it isnt just the battery? My take on it it was battery problem rather than anyuthing..and if you have both cards in your pocket and 1 is low it will start anyway but still say not recognised on the low one..if that makes sense...

And STAR will tell you where in the car it actually is ....

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
It won't be the battery in the card/key, at least it wouldn't be with the newer combined key.

The Keyless function is powered by the car, believe it or not.

From what I've been told the Keyless code is stored within the card/key on an RFID chip. This code is read by the car whenever you touch a door handle, boot switch or the starter button. This is done by the car emitting an radio frequency field that is sufficient to power the chip.

The main reason for them to fail is that the antenna coil for the RFID chip becomes detached form the PCB within the key/card due to kinetic shock e.g. being dropped onto a hard surface. This reduces the read distance to zero as the chip can't be powered by the RF field.

Another reason is that the car battery voltage is too low to power the reader when the car has been sat locked for a while.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It won't be the battery in the card/key, at least it wouldn't be with the newer combined key.

The Keyless function is powered by the car, believe it or not.

From what I've been told the Keyless code is stored within the card/key on an RFID chip. This code is read by the car whenever you touch a door handle, boot switch or the starter button. This is done by the car emitting an radio frequency field that is sufficient to power the chip.

The main reason for them to fail is that the antenna coil for the RFID chip becomes detached form the PCB within the key/card due to kinetic shock e.g. being dropped onto a hard surface. This reduces the read distance to zero as the chip can't be powered by the RF field.

Another reason is that the car battery voltage is too low to power the reader when the car has been sat locked for a while.

The keyless key that is the combined with the ignition key is definitely powered by the battery, its only when you insert it into the ignition that the ignition part is powered by a coil that surrounds the key.

The car will complain when the battery in the keyless key is getting low as well.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Really?
Interesting as Nick from Mercedes Replacement Keys was able to open my car without a battery being present within the key but with the key in his hand.

I shall have to go and retest it.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Really?
Interesting as Nick from Mercedes Replacement Keys was able to open my car without a battery being present within the key but with the key in his hand.

I shall have to go and retest it.

Its very odd, the 211 really does complain when the battery in the key is low, by saying keyless battery low.

Its possible they are recharged via the ignition barrel, maybe Nick will see this thread, I know he is active on the forum.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom