CL500 Possible Water Ingress?

John Moors

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (02)
Any members owning / experienced with CL500's had experience with curing the following?
After heavy rain / car wash I encounter the following "electrical" issues -
front left indicator 'fails' to the reserve bulb (foglight), Air Con fan shuts down and Active Body Control fails. No other electrical faults present themselves.......
Not sure whether these are a manifestation of the same underlying fault but wonder whether they share the same 'earth' / relay linkage etc?
I am conscious that the windscreen drainage seems to drain past both under-bonnet fuse boxes but these have been checked and are correctly closed.
Any help / advise would be appreciated. :roll:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think that this is a SAM issue

OP
J

John Moors

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (02)
Sam?

Malcolm,
Thx for your reply. Can you explain further, I'm not familiar with your reference to SAM? Guess it's some sort of management system?
J

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A SAM is an electronic memory device that stores the information on what the car has in the way of electric items on the car. It is used in conjunction with the CAN BUS and this is the high speed data system going round in the car.

The SL 230 can have a problem with the front passenger side SAM where moisture can find its way up one of the cable ducts and oxidizes the connector plug and silly faults appear, the start off in the damp weather and be come permanent later,,

This is what it could be on your car. If you car was plugged into STAR the faults that you have would be recorded. We can take it from there,,a good indie can do the STAR test

OP
J

John Moors

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (02)
Thx Malcolm

Malcolm, very useful thankyou. Have made arrangements for it to be looked at at my garage with a STAR computer. Thx again
John

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No doubt that your guy will also have the info from the read out. I can also look it up when you have the answer. Have you driven the car for more than 20 mins since this first started happening, all cars a different and apart from the air con all of my other faults would go away after a drive only to return the next day and so on, this is the connector on my SAM

DSC00139.jpg

OP
J

John Moors

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (02)
Malcolm,
Thx again. Yes have driven it for more than 20 minutes at a time. This weekend has been "hillarious"!! Front left indicator is now working again, and the ABC / Air Suspension has been working most of the weekend, but the aircon fan still "dead". Some new intermittent faults have appeared - only half the speakers now work, external temp gauge is reading -37.5deg, rear window blind started going up and down and is now stuck half up / down, te he! We're having a right old laugh about it!
Thanks for including the picture as I'm taking it in tomorrow. Will give you some feedback / update. J

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Once the SAM has turned off the air con it can only be turned back on in STAR

It will be the SAM and yes the strange antics are funny,,well one has to laugh to hide the pain

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom