CL500 - Thoughts/advice...

azam6380

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
Hi all,

I hope you are well.

I am now thinking of trading in my '04 SL55 for a CL500. The SL and the CL are 2 cars I have always wanted and I've done the SL now - time for the CL!

I was hoping to pick one up for £25,000 or less in black, fully loaded (rear cam and night vision). Think I can confidently pick one up with around 60k on the clock in this bracket.

I guess my question is more around the maintenance. Obviously, with the SL I'm always on the guard for the "baffle" and "roof" issues which I have avoided till now. Are there similar signature issues on the CL?

Also, is there any sigificant difference between the 07/08/09 and if i went for a car with perhaps, 80k, on the clock would this be an issue?

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.

Azam

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Malcolm (television) is your man. I'm sure he will be along shortly to share his experiences in buying his CL ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have had my 216 now for nearly 4 months and a dream car it is, with the new engine its just under a second to 60 than the 55, couples with the 7g it is a fantastic car,,,, I have virtually everything other than reverse camera and rear blind, it can return 28 or more MPG with ease, hard town work all day and 23mpg.

The main change was the modified engine(just a bush) but be 07 all clear, no more changes till mid 09 and only some little things became standard.

Mine was at 39k when I bought it and I paid £25k the camera did not bother me as we use disabled parking spaces.

The do have ABC that is coupled to the S and W on the box, so a firmer ride in S.

If you want to know anything just ask away, but I hope that the forum does not fill up with the things ;):shock:

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500.W216 + C300 Coupe AMG Line 2018
07 CL500 on Pistonheads one month ago fully loaded in black 45000 miles full MBSH price £25,000. from a motor trader with 6 month warranty. I was very tempted, a truly stunning motor, This model will be my next car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am not saying it was not loaded but so many dealers say fully loaded with just a basic spec,, I had to get VIN numbers and study the photographs to be sure

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500.W216 + C300 Coupe AMG Line 2018
I would not worry if a W216 was fully loaded or not if it was the right car i would go for it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would not worry if a W216 was fully loaded or not if it was the right car i would go for it.

But you must have Distronic plus, and the night vision for the foggy nights while listening to the HK sound system while sitting in your comfort dynamic seats, just to name a few;)

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
But you must have Distronic plus, and the night vision for the foggy nights while listening to the HK sound system while sitting in your comfort dynamic seats, just to name a few;)

And if you're feeling really adventurous you could even press the keyless go start button and take it out of the garage :lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And if you're feeling really adventurous you could even press the keyless go start button and take it out of the garage :lol:

I forgot that piece :( thanks ;):D

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
If "Comfort seats" are an extra does this mean that Mercedes fit "Uncomfortable seats" as standard in a 60k+ car???

If I was in the enviable position of being able to afford a CL brand new, and the salesman asked if I wanted "Comfort seats" I'd ask what the f**k he was doing selling me a 60k car that wasn't comfortable!

At that price, I want the best seats Mercedes can make - I do NOT expect to pay extra for them!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If "Comfort seats" are an extra does this mean that Mercedes fit "Uncomfortable seats" as standard in a 60k+ car???

If I was in the enviable position of being able to afford a CL brand new, and the salesman asked if I wanted "Comfort seats" I'd ask what the f**k he was doing selling me a 60k car that wasn't comfortable!

At that price, I want the best seats Mercedes can make - I do NOT expect to pay extra for them!

Comfort seats are offered in most MB as an extra, these add that little extra.

All car makers offer different packages, mine has most options adding up to some £98k, if all the things were thrown in they would be wasted on most people, so its good as it is, you have the car tailored to suit your needs

OP
azam6380

azam6380

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
Thank you for all your feedback, particularly Malcolm. I am definitely going to purchase the CL500. The timing is the issue really. The SL's insurance is up in May 2013 so might wait till then. I guess the prices on the CL500 will have dropped evern further by then. I guess the biggest issue I have is trying to find someone to buy my modified SL55. (vinyl wrap/upgraded custom ICE). I hope that it isnt too difficult. Really no idea what I should expect with regards to £££ either. Only 48k on the clock.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a look around last night and not much further movement in prices, again not many around with much in the way of toys in Autotrader, loads with 80k at the £20k mark, but no extras at all then a gap to £25k and then later cars coming in. Some of the cars were there from 4 months ago when I bought mine. The spring is always a good time to sell the 55, and I cannot see the prices shifting very much as they have all bottomed out and the price is all based on the condition,,, the vinyl wrap could make it an interesting buy.

Just thinking now do I wrap mine in pink :rolleyes:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
the vinyl wrap could make it an interesting buy.

Is that what we used to call a "bra" ? Sorry, things have moved on and I see these things referred to but don't really understand what they are.:confused:

OP
azam6380

azam6380

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
I had a look around last night and not much further movement in prices, again not many around with much in the way of toys in Autotrader, loads with 80k at the £20k mark, but no extras at all then a gap to £25k and then later cars coming in. Some of the cars were there from 4 months ago when I bought mine. The spring is always a good time to sell the 55, and I cannot see the prices shifting very much as they have all bottomed out and the price is all based on the condition,,, the vinyl wrap could make it an interesting buy.

Malcolm, just out of interest, where did you look? My limited knowledge extends to checking autotrader and thats about it....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is Vic cars, Mercedes cars, Exchange and mart, Pistonheads, Top marques, and Ebay and another Mercedes computer cars all come up on a Google search.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom