CL500/W215 Rear Brakes & Pads recommendation

CL500Wizard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500, 2 x Honda Prelude 2.2VTEC, Honda VFR400 (Bike) ... that's about enough, need to skim
Hi All

Rear brake pads and disk need changing - pads are low and disks are rusted - fronts were done a year or so ago.

I've always used EBC brakes on all my cars (for W215 £44 per rear disk) and standard pads such as Frodo or Mintex.

Are there better recommended brands for the disk and pad combination - & supplier please as well. CL is not driven hard on brakes so I'm not going to upgrade to anything above OEM. Those upgrades are for my track car.

And I guess this will be an Indie job with Star as I've seen plenty of battery disconnect stories frying up the MAF.

Thanks
A

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
First you have no problem in disconnecting the battery.

Many normal motor factors sell Zimmerman disc and these are OE to MB, the are the same as on my car, also GSF or Euro sell them for £100 the pair for the fronts. They also keep the rears. I use EBC green pads and they are fine and about the same as the OE pads

OP
C

CL500Wizard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500, 2 x Honda Prelude 2.2VTEC, Honda VFR400 (Bike) ... that's about enough, need to skim
Thanks Malcolm. Will give the local Euro a call for Zimmerman disks. Fronts are slotted and drilled on it right now but rears are plain.

Green stuff - with my experience of them (different cars though), I wouldn't touch them ever again but since its the rears I'll get standard mintex or frodo which should do the job.

So handbrake off, disconnect the battery +ve (or -ve?), pump the brakes a few times, rust release spray on bolts, remove caliper, rust release spray around pistons if they have any rust appearing, wind the pistons back using existing pad, and install new pads.

Are these disks screwed on to the hub with philips or flat headed screws? Not had a chance to take the wheels off yet. I've got the impact driver with phillips and flat heads but seeing the types of screws used on the MB I doubt it will be either of the two.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On my car it is a torx screw, and you do need a good quality bit.

I have used the green pads for 10 years now and would never use anything else

My Disc are the same as yours, slotted drilled on the front and plain on the rears

OP
C

CL500Wizard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
very different experiences of the pads!

torx screw - just like everything else on the merc ... grrrr .... need to invest in a good set of those.

one final question: does it still need to the impact driver?

Thanks

barose

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 2011 Obsidian Black, CLS350 2013 Silver
I need to replace the front pads and discs on my W215 (CL600 biturbo). Looking at the discs on offer there seems to be two price ranges. Around £75+ discs are 32/30mm whereas the £150+ discs are 34/32mm. My current discs at 32mm would indicate the higher price range. The specs seem to allow both types and obviously I would prefer the lower price option, but is it an option?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is my car with EBC pads after a 3250 mile run and the car not washed

Attachments

• DSC00816.jpg
    DSC00816.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 76

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I would say not. The disks come in two different diameters and I would think that your car would come with the larger disk size.

Still if you would like to make absolutley sure then have a friendly chat with your MB dealers parts dept. Ask them for a quote (no obligation to buy remember) and at the same time I'm sure that they can clear up any problems with disk size.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom