Cl500 w216 rear stop/tail lamp fail.

93blade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cl500 2002
Hi, I have a waring rear left stop tail light failed. Took it all out to change lamp, then realised its led. All plugs and connectors look OK and pcb looks OK. Are these boards replaceable or repairable? Surely you don't replace the whole tail light to repair. I am a competent electrician and willing to have a go, but cannot find any replacement boards online. Any help appreciated.
Cl500 4.7 biturbo w216 2010

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
This could be the rear SAM unit going bad but will be a bugger if it means a new rear lamp unit

OP

93blade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cl500 2002
This could be the rear SAM unit going bad but will be a bugger if it means a new rear lamp unit

I don't like the sound of that. I'll try swap one side with the other if the plug fits and see if fault transfers to other side.

OP

93blade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cl500 2002
Hi yes. Fixed. I swapped light unit with other side and found the fault transferred to that side. So I knew it was the light at fault. Found that the leds, 16 of them altogether, are mounted on one long pcb board. This board is sealed into light unit and not removable. New light unit about £200. So with nothing to lose, I cut a long access slot with a dremel cutting disc to remove board. IMG_20201228_145606.jpg Once removed, tested with 12vdc and multimeter to see where good and not. Re-soldered all connections, but I think the diode nearest to board wire connections was the problem. Connected 12v to test and all lit up OK. Replaced board and glued in place. Then replaced removed plastic with glue and sealant to seal. Still working, all good.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
That's what I would have thought .... it's broke, you can't break it any more by having a look. :):)
My theory as well. I work that if someone put it together I can take it apart... it might require getting a bit violent and a dremel but it’s coming apart. ;)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi yes. Fixed. I swapped light unit with other side and found the fault transferred to that side. So I knew it was the light at fault. Found that the leds, 16 of them altogether, are mounted on one long pcb board. This board is sealed into light unit and not removable. New light unit about £200. So with nothing to lose, I cut a long access slot with a dremel cutting disc to remove board. View attachment 64426 Once removed, tested with 12vdc and multimeter to see where good and not. Re-soldered all connections, but I think the diode nearest to board wire connections was the problem. Connected 12v to test and all lit up OK. Replaced board and glued in place. Then replaced removed plastic with glue and sealant to seal. Still working, all good.
You are a clever little so and so buddy , good work , and thanks for updating with a fix :D

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom