CL500 - worth the risk?

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I have never owned a CL but if I did it would be a 215. I just don't like the styling of the 216 as much. It's the same with my SL, the R230 styling just looks right whereas the R231 looks awkward in comparison.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I've driven a 215, but never a 216, but sat in both so interesting views....

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I just don't like the styling of the 216 as much. It's the same with my SL, the R230 styling just looks right whereas the R231 looks awkward in comparison.

I am the opposite on the 216, I think it looks better, more muscular and the lines particularly the C pillar flows better.

I agree on the SL, the 231 front just doesn't work IMO

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes I like the look of the 216 much better, the tech is absolutely light years ahead, and I like the interior better, but as I say, never actually driven one

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I think the front on the 216 looks bland. I'm sure the tech and interiors are lovely.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think the 216 is very wheel and colour sensitive. Black or Dark blue with the AMG large spoke alloys make it look nice - I do think a really subtle boot spoiler would have improved it a bit though.

OP
James Gareth

James Gareth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just bought 2005 CL500
Cl500 screams refined class, McLaren screams overpaid football plonker....

Given all the above tho James, what steered you to the W215 not the 216? Given budget wasn’t as much of a consideration as it would have been for me say, why did you go for the older car rather than say a 50k miles 216 at about £10-11k which would have had all the Bluetooth, music streaming and Posh stereo? And I am not criticising, just curious - it could be as simple as “prefer the shape” or anything - just seems a curious choice!

Only just seen this question. I prefer the shape - and the interior. Simple really.

OP
James Gareth

James Gareth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just bought 2005 CL500
Yep, and perfectly valid!

Just put new boots on it. Goodyear Eagle F1. Times four. 275.35.19s on the rear and 245.40.19 on the front. They look the absolute dog's b****s. And I've always used Eagle F1s - so I know that tyre does the job. The size though - from the back in particular - 275's look immense! £660 including 4-wheel alignment.

Now averaging a little under 22mpg. Which is way more than I thought I'd get. I think I'm getting older and just don't want to drive so fast - and/or that car does not make you want to drive so fast. One or the other.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, on these, you can make very rapid progress without breaking 2000rpm.....

Just need to LPG it now James, and see 40mpg and then the Mini will be history!

OP
James Gareth

James Gareth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just bought 2005 CL500
Yes, on these, you can make very rapid progress without breaking 2000rpm.....

Just need to LPG it now James, and see 40mpg and then the Mini will be history!

The Mini's not going anywhere - because its a completely different drive.

You get in the Mini and suddenly you're in a go-kart - you can chuck it into slippery corners and know exactly how it's going to bounce and slide and land squarely once more on its feet while you coax it back into second and tap the accelerator once more.

That's not how you drive the CL - or want to!

So for now - they both stay.

OP
James Gareth

James Gareth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just bought 2005 CL500
OK. So here's an interesting thing I found out about this car - remember I've owned this thing for a couple of weeks so I am still discovering stuff.

The ventilation - was bugging me - wind when I didn't want wind. So I figured well turn off the auto-air-con function for starters. Which I thought I did. But. When you press the control buttons in (so they are tucked out of the way - you just press them and they disappear into the dash) - that actually turns the auto-air-con back on! For the nth time nobody tells me anything.

Another thing - the AC-off button. Being so used to my Mini - on the button that says 'auto-air-con' you have to press it to make it come on and then the red light comes on. Not so here I discover - oh no - you have to press the button which turns the red light ON which means the air-con is OFF. Talk about f****g confusing. FFS. So to turn the air-con off I have to press that button in and get the red light to come on.

I prefer it the way they have it on the Mini - where the air-con is not turned ON by default - whereas here with this Merc the default position of the car is to have the air-con ON.

Which begs the question - will my fuel consumption now go down a bit assuming that the aircon has been on all the time since I bought it (though it's not been cooling the air (its been set at 21C) I can only assume its been dehumidifying it but nothing else - but at least running a pump off the engine to do that?).

If you think my fuel consumption's gonna go down now - I'd be interested in your views on that.

Presonally I find it a bit annoying that I will have to turn the air-con off everytime I get in the car - but so be it I guess.

I still think those 19" wheels are amazing. In fact the whole car is really just a device to show off those wheels. I know. It's a sickness.

OP
James Gareth

James Gareth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just bought 2005 CL500
ah ha. I tell a lie. It remembers the last setting you left on the air-con-off button - so when you get in the car the next time if you left it with the air-con off it starts off with that setting.

This is an improvement on what I thought it was doing. I'd still prefer the light off when the air-con is off - but at least I don't have to re-set it every time I get in the car.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
The air-con will make negligible difference to mpg.
Running aircon also dries the air within the cabin, making steamed up windows on the inside far less likely.
Aircon when not run (for long periods) can suffer issues with leakage due to seals drying out & failing.

lights on Reminds you it’s off! (Avoiding big bills later)

better off just to set the dual climate to 21, and low fan speed, and aim the vents away from you. (hate being too warm)

It took me a while to get to grips with the system (dial back the pinwheel by centre of dash top).

andys320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S211 280 CDi 2009, Porsche Boxster ,much missed Mercedes S320CDi 2003
Any update on the new speakers and headunit?

What speakers did they fit in the end?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom