CL600 tyres

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CL600 / 2007 / 5.5 litre
After spending hour upon hour reading product and user reviews, given the feedback and assistance given here previously, I thought this would be the best place for the best advice.

I'm currently in need of new rear tyres (275/35/ZR20) for my CL600. The current tyres are Continental Sport Contact 2, and having never replaced before on a car I've now had for six months I'm not sure how many miles they've been through.

With the CL600 quite a rare car, and with its mix of smooth drive, heavy car and sporty performance, it could be difficult to find the right tyre to provide what this car needs.

I'm currently thinking of Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2, based upon reports elsewhere.

Any CL owners out there with suggestions of the best tyres on this car? Or those to avoid? Any with experience of the Goodyears on the CL?

I look forward to your feedback. Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Those tyres are one of the best going and recommended by many on here.

I am running Michelin's MO on my CL500 and SL500 and very pleased with them.

Parkgate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2005 2.7CDI
I dont have a CL but the Goodyear Assy 2's are superb on mine.

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I'm safe with the Goodyears.

BernardB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL600 (W216) 2006
Are your front tyres also Contis? Personally I prefer to have the same brand/model on all the wheels. Both Contis and Goodyear are well regarded although I've read somewhere that the CL suspension doesn't like asymmetric tyres. When I did some research for my CL600 wheels I found Dunlop Sport to be the quietist so I went for those, and I'm very pleased with them.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are your front tyres also Contis? Personally I prefer to have the same brand/model on all the wheels. Both Contis and Goodyear are well regarded although I've read somewhere that the CL suspension doesn't like asymmetric tyres. When I did some research for my CL600 wheels I found Dunlop Sport to be the quietist so I went for those, and I'm very pleased with them.

Indeed the Dunlop sport has a very good name for noise and grip, I almost bought them for both my cars until I read many reviews and the only down side was the reported poor mileage. I will be very interested to see how you find them on this point.

Lexman8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (2001): Distronic, Bose, Keyless Go; Honda CR-V EX (2011)
I fitted a couple of Dunlop Sport RT's on the front last month. Much quieter and a more comfortable ride than the Continental Sport Contact that were fitted before.

I'm seriously tempted to change the rear Bridgestones to Dunlops even though they still have about 5mm tread on them.

Obviously it's too soon to comment on wear.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I fitted a couple of Dunlop Sport RT's on the front last month. Much quieter and a more comfortable ride than the Continental Sport Contact that were fitted before.

I'm seriously tempted to change the rear Bridgestones to Dunlops even though they still have about 5mm tread on them.

Obviously it's too soon to comment on wear.

I agree about the Conti's, once the best tyre around, but now very out of date and poor quality.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I agree about the Conti's, once the best tyre around, but now very out of date and poor quality.

It is such an old tyre, they are on the SC5 now.

I would put Goodyear F1 or Michelin PS2 on it

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Some good feedback again - thanks. It looks like I'm safe then with the Continental Sport, Goodyear F1 and Dunlops; I suppose now it's a case of non standard stock, so whichever they have or can get hold of the quickest then over to them.

Thanks again for your feedback.

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks JBell. Order placed earlier today with Black Circle @ £186 each. Happy enough with the price, now for performance. Fitting on Thursday. Result I think!

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
By the way, I got the Goodyear F1's via Blackcircle. Great service and even better tyres. It feels like a new car, with tyres to match the cars performance!

DTOTHEP

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C, 2007, 180
Hi all,

I have a spare set of difda alloys with dunlop sport 9000 tyres for a CL 600 that I no longer need. Does anyone in this forum want any?! Please find the details of them on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222233453819

Thanks

David

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I fitted Kleber Quadraxer AS on the front, and Michelin PS3 AS on the rear for all-season performance. Both have similar tread pattern, both are very quiet and superb grip (in the dry at least) for such a heavy car, I easily outbraked a boy racer in his little hatchback thingy on the M45-A45 roundabout on Monday, no dramas at all.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Hi all,

I have a spare set of difda alloys with dunlop sport 9000 tyres for a CL 600 that I no longer need. Does anyone in this forum want any?! Please find the details of them on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222233453819

Thanks

David

This needs to go in the for Sale section.

1 minor point is the price, the wheels are £300 with second hand tyres possibly £5-600 if you are lucky

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom