Cl600 won't start

Datsun-des

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl600
Hi guys, I recently purchased a 2002 cl600 and it has developed a fault.

Soon after I got it the check engine light came on, a local garage said the fault code was a temperature sensor so reset it for me and ordered a sensor. A few days later the light came on again so I booked in to have the part fitted. It was fitted but another couple of days later the light came back on and I have rebooked in to have some investigations done.

However, today when I went to use the car, it won't start, the check engine light is still on, everything powers up, but when you turn the key nothing happens. I have looked through the paperwork supplied with the car and it had a similar fault recently and a garage cleaned the fuse box connections and refitted the relays etc to fix it. I'm suspecting there is more of an underlying problem. Any ideas where to look?

The cars other faults are a slight exhaust blow, the keyless entry/start doesn't work, and the full open/closure is very intermittent. I suspect these are completely unrelated though.

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
It needs star really. Have you a spare key to try? Battery voltage ok?

OP
D

Datsun-des

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl600
I tried the battery off my clk, which I had recently fully charged and no change, voltage read as 12v. I have looked at all the fuses and they seem fine and connect properly. If I turn on the ignition and wait for the whirring etc to stop before attempting to start it then nothing happens, if I put the key in and turn it straight to start then it buzzes for a second then nothing happens.

OP
D

Datsun-des

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl600
The only other key I have is the card, which doesn't work at all. I have the old keys from my clk but they won't even turn in the ignition, whereas the one I have been using does?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I tried the battery off my clk, which I had recently fully charged and no change, voltage read as 12v. I have looked at all the fuses and they seem fine and connect properly. If I turn on the ignition and wait for the whirring etc to stop before attempting to start it then nothing happens, if I put the key in and turn it straight to start then it buzzes for a second then nothing happens.

Have you checked the connection to the starter motor/solenoid and the earth?

Sounds like the power is not reaching the starter motor.

OP
D

Datsun-des

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl600
Not yet, which side is the starter motor on? :confused:

I've got the rac on there way but normally they just say its broken and take it to a garage. :rolleyes:

OP
D

Datsun-des

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl600
I couldn't find any loose cables, but I suspect now it is the starter motor. The rac have arranged to tow it for me so I'll let you know the outcome.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I think it best to get it to a good independent for a test on STAR diagnostic. Far cheaper than replacing parts by guess work.

You wont get any keys for another car to work with yours they are all coded to a specific car. The Keyless Go cards could be damaged internally or it could be a transponder issue - only use of STAR will help you pinpoint this.

OP
D

Datsun-des

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl600
I said I would update you, I still don't know what the problem was. The recovery lorry arrived the next morning to collect the car and it started!

The garage had it for nearly a week but couldn't replicate the fault. They connected it to diagnostics and the code was B1088 'communication fault'.

A few days later the check light came back on and the codes were P2003 'secondary air injection right bank' and P2009 'secondary air injection left bank' P0410

Since then the check light has come back on but I haven't had it rescanned.

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
I had a similar fault last year. Removed the starter motor and found the braided earth wire between and starter and solenoid had corroded away, broken.

This fault will not show on STAR.

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom