CLA Warranty Exhaust Repair Hell

OP
cheesyboofs

cheesyboofs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLA 220D AMG 2015
With respect neither of you know what arrangement I have with my company nore my company with the fleet company. My company owns the cars not the fleet company they just manage payment for the services. I work ****** hard for the car and pay the hefty tax bill for it. While my car is 'off the road' I am driving an old battered pool car, a golf that was due to be sold off bottom dollar due to the punishment it has received in its working life.

Whether its a company car or not, that was not the point of my initial thread. It was to seek advice and raise awareness plus for the record warn others of what's going on. Whether its a company car or not is incidental.

Regards

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Comment on MBs twitter pages, ask everyone you know to retweet it and ask their friends to do likewise,... and FB pages, - the power of social media can “make things happen”

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
With respect neither of you know what arrangement I have with my company nore my company with the fleet company. My company owns the cars not the fleet company they just manage payment for the services. I work ****** hard for the car and pay the hefty tax bill for it. While my car is 'off the road' I am driving an old battered pool car, a golf that was due to be sold off bottom dollar due to the punishment it has received in its working life.

Whether its a company car or not, that was not the point of my initial thread. It was to seek advice and raise awareness plus for the record warn others of what's going on. Whether its a company car or not is incidental.

Regards

With respect unless you had advised the arrangements people would naturally assume it’s normal fleet management so don’t be critical of those views.

You asked for input and there has been a lot here for you to take away and mull over but I suggest you arrange sometime with the dealer principal now you know who that is and chat to them. My experience they can be sympathetic especially when they can see areas where things have fallen down.

Talk to him then come back and talk to us...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I did have a courtesy car, a brand new E-Class 3ltr AWD estate, but my fleet manager insisted we give it back after a month because if I kept it any longer he would have to declare it to the tax office, also it was costing £100 a week in fuel.

This was a mistake as we've now lost our bargaining chip. We should have had the CC downgraded or just left the E-Class in the carpark.

I have spoken to a completely different branch of MB who have told me my car has a Sports Exhaust with the silly burble flap without the solenoid to make it burble. There is a european shortage (a bottleneck in supply) on CLA sports exhausts.

However something to do with this flap tells the automatic box when to change gear, or not in my case.

Without any other CLA owners going through the same I have no way of knowing if this is true. I have no FB, twitter or other social media accounts to create any sort of public fuss and dont really want to join the masses in getting them.

Am I missing something?

The part is not available, these things happen not good I agree but not unheard of.

You then get a rather nice courtesy car but your fleet manager insists it goes back because it is too expensive and tax problems of which I confess I have no idea.

In your place as you pay towards the car a significant amount I would probably have told the fleet manager to swivel or obtain you a like for like car.

I can see from an earlier post you are quite upset but that said there has been some good advice on here but that’s all it is other peoples opinions.

Taking legal action sounds good but will be expensive and long winded, you first need to get the appointment get the info across then the solicitor sends a recorded letter blah blah and so it goes on.

In your place I would be equally peeved but if the part is not available what’s tobe done.

I hope this issue is resolved soon to your liking.

Robin

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I cannot see a path for legal action.

Take the replacement car and request a change when something more to your liking is available is still my opinion.
When I was given a new E-Class I was pleased, the extra costs not significant on the scale of things.

Parts supply problems happens, expecting MB to have one of every car just in case is not realistic, and would take some extraordinary planning.

OP
cheesyboofs

cheesyboofs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLA 220D AMG 2015
  • 10th/04/2018 - Booked car in for service and recall on steering column, earthing issue, reported gear change issue after approximately 1hr of driving.
  • 20th/04/2018 – Car delivered to Hughes for recall, service & now engine management light on due to reported fault with gear change. On car collection told car on ramp too long doing service & recall to look at engine management light or reported fault. “we only have 20 ramps and 70+ cars to look at” On enquiry as to what the engine management light related too was told couldn’t check as this would reset condition. Would have to book car in again to have reported fault and engine management light investigated. Car rebooked in on collection for 03/05/2018.
  • 03rd/05/2018 – Car delivered to Hughes again to have engine management & erratic gear change issue investigated. Told that fault code related to fault in the exhaust system, a ‘flap’, ‘parts on order’. We retake ownership of car with engine management light extinguished.
  • 21st/05/2018 – Car recovered to Hughes, no longer safe to drive, gear change issue unpredictable at roundabouts and engine management light on again, MOT expired.
  • 23rd/05/2018 – Requested hire car from Mercedes Benz, car delivered.
  • 06th/06/2018 – Chased ETA on parts with both Hughes & Mercedes Benz customer service requesting escalation. No update.
  • 15th/06/2018 – Hire car sent back to Mercedes Benz c/o Europcar. Still no ETA on parts or repair.
  • 4th/08/2018 – Post a message on Twitter out of sheer frustration under the account CLAWarrantyFail@failcla #MercedesBenz
  • 5th/08/2018 - Mercedes Benz European customer service ask for VIN and contact details
  • 6th/08/2018 – Mercedes Benz UK customer service call to say they are taking the complaint posted on social media very seriously
  • 7th/08/2018 – Hughes call and email to say the new exhaust was delivered Saturday 4th despite them chasing the parts every Monday and it now being Tuesday, would I like to book the car in to have the part fitted???? A coincidence??? I explained it’s been sitting in their carpark for two months and faulty for +3 months.
  • 8th/08/2018 – New Exhaust fitted, Engine management light extinguished but no time to MOT the vehicle
  • 9th/08/2018 – Called early afternoon and informed car available for collect. No apology, nothing!
Just to follow up I finally got my car back yesterday after creating an account on twitter and posting a tweet on Saturday to @mercedesbenz.
Thanks to all those who contributed useful information, those that offered "get another car" I pity you.

Regards

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Just goes to show that parts are always in stock somewhere, just mostly allocated to production, and can be released if sufficient pressure is applied in the right places.

Glad to see that you got it sorted!

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
The last time I got told, "we only chase parts on Mondays, and its not Monday!"

That would light my blue touch paper instantly and I am normally a very calm person !!! :eek: And the flet manager sounds p**s week !! :eek:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Hughes of Beaconsfield are the ones who couldn't fix a broken stereo speaker in 6 months and 4 visits…. for a car in warranty...

he had an oil change done (part of a small service) the speaker wasn't addressed and the software updates to the gearbox they decided he should pay for !.... 600 quid later he's no longer enamoured with the brand

all rather extraordinary as they used to be one of jewels in the crown.... I guess in Merc land they still are.. taking 200 k an hour off rich guys for trinkets for their mistresses earns more money than fixing them

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hughes of Beaconsfield are the ones who couldn't fix a broken stereo speaker in 6 months and 4 visits…. for a car in warranty...

he had an oil change done (part of a small service) the speaker wasn't addressed and the software updates to the gearbox they decided he should pay for !.... 600 quid later he's no longer enamoured with the brand

all rather extraordinary as they used to be one of jewels in the crown.... I guess in Merc land they still are.. taking 200 k an hour off rich guys for trinkets for their mistresses earns more money than fixing them
I've heard quite a few bad reports for Hughes of Beaconsfield of late...

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom