Classic cars

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I like the Dart. I am also remember as a boy the Police using them on the M1 when it first opened ! :rolleyes:

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
I think driving a classic is enlightening and reminds you how much things have changed (and not always for the better).
The sheer simplicity of classic cars is quite empowering. Simply knowing that when something goes wrong you don't need an electronic gizmo to fix it and the part won't need coding is really quite refreshing.
When I had the 101s yes they were difficult to drive (no power steering), noisy (no sound proofing), cramped and uncomfortable but there's almost nothing to make me grin ear to ear like it.
Would I want to drive it to the South of France? Probably not (and if I did I'd dread the trip back again) but as an occasional vehicle they're great fun. Just don't expect to go anywhere quickly.
That's the great part of owning a classic car- the simplicity. There's very little that cant be fixed with a 1/2 or 9/16 socket or spanner on ours. The roof motor "failed to proceed" on our convertabubbly last year. Removed, opened up cleaned refilled and refitted in about an hour. Worked fine, but if it hadn't a brand new one would have been $150ish- here in a week and 10 minutes to fit. For a 60 year old car. Imagine if that had been the SL....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Imagine if that had been the SL...
On a 230 you'd be in a world of pain - especially if the roof was down and refused to close in pouring rain!
At least a 129 you can do it all manually if you have to.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom