CLC 180K anti tow light flashing

Mikeyk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 CLC 180K
First post on here - apologies if this is discussed elsewhere..

My CLC is currently mostly the secondary car and gets little use, being reserved for longer journeys where the Smart would jumble up the kidneys just that bittie too much and as such has been parked outside getting the full brunt of the Beast from the East.

A couple of evenings ago I noticed that the switch for the anti-tow was flashing every few seconds when the car is locked.
When it's unlocked the light ceases to flash.
The car starts with no indications of any issue and has been for a short trip to the shops and back.
Is this a known issue with a discrete solution?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I'm not sure on this , but if you read the manual , isn't there a switch you press that disables the alarm if your vehicle is being towed because of breakdown , maybe on the overhead control panel by the rear view mirror ? . And welcome , hopefully someone who knows will chime in .

OP
Mikeyk

Mikeyk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 CLC 180K
I'm not sure on this , but if you read the manual , isn't there a switch you press that disables the alarm if your vehicle is being towed because of breakdown , maybe on the overhead control panel by the rear view mirror ? . And welcome , hopefully someone who knows will chime in .

Thanks for that...
You're correct in that that's the switch that is flashing - it's on the dashboard console on the CLC rather than the overhead panel ..
Pressing it doesn't seem to have any effect that I can tell because the flashing only comes on after the car has been locked.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that...
You're correct in that that's the switch that is flashing - it's on the dashboard console on the CLC rather than the overhead panel ..
Pressing it doesn't seem to have any effect that I can tell because the flashing only comes on after the car has been locked.
Does the car manual give any additional clues ?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My car manual says , remove ignition key and then press the tow away button to deactivate the system

OP
Mikeyk

Mikeyk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 CLC 180K
RTFM - carried out as instructed. :)
Key removed and button pressed as per p44 of the User Manual.
Light illuminates briefly in accordance with manual
Upon locking of car - light resumes its sad and lonely flashing 8-(

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
RTFM - carried out as instructed. :)
Key removed and button pressed as per p44 of the User Manual.
Light illuminates briefly in accordance with manual
Upon locking of car - light resumes its sad and lonely flashing 8-(
Might need an Indy or MB to read the fault codes ? ( Indy will be cheaper , provided they have the MB Star computer )

OP
Mikeyk

Mikeyk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 CLC 180K
Thanks.. Half a lifetime in IT has conditioned me to believe that a particular fault might (would - in any of "my" teams) have knowledgebase entries for it.
Service B is due later this month - we will see what the local garage makes of it.

Top Bottom