CLC 200k VS CLC220 CDI

KingKlazzikal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC
Hi all, I'm new here and thought id ask a question I'm struggling with.
I am interested in a 2009 CLC, and I've got an option between the 1.8 200 kompressor or the 2.1 (150bhp?) diesel.

Now i know the CLC200k is much faster at stock coz its petrol and has like 180bhp?, however I've been looking into remapping this or chip tuning, and this is where my dilemma lies, i don't know if its better to buy the CDI and remap or buy the 200k and leave stock or remap the 200k, and how does all this affect the MPG on the petrol etc, which is a better option to remap etc

Also doesn't help that the 200k petrol has a lower mileage and NAV lol.

Please all advise welcome, Thanks

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

More power equals more fuel usage

A 2009 diesel is not welcome in many places these days and these are making residuals fall dramatically

OP
K

KingKlazzikal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC
A 2009 diesel is not welcome in many places these days and these are making residuals fall dramatically
Please can you elaborate on this? thanks

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I think the remark a about a 2009 not being welcome in many places has been made with the introduction of low emission zones in some cities in mind. A good example is the Birmingham one coming in on 1st June. My 07 CLK 220 CDI will incur a penalty whereas my 01 SLK 230 petrol gets in without charge, this is despite the SLK being 6 years older. Remember around ten to fifteen years ago we were being encouraged to run diesel cars!!!!

OP
K

KingKlazzikal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC
I think the remark a about a 2009 not being welcome in many places has been made with the introduction of low emission zones in some cities in mind. A good example is the Birmingham one coming in on 1st June. My 07 CLK 220 CDI will incur a penalty whereas my 01 SLK 230 petrol gets in without charge, this is despite the SLK being 6 years older. Remember around ten to fifteen years ago we were being encouraged to run diesel cars!!!!
AH right thanks for the clarification, nah that doesn't bother me, I don't drive cars into the city centre or any zones that costs more just to drive there.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Please can you elaborate on this? thanks
It will cost £8 per day to drive into the Birmingham low emissions zone in my 2010 800cc diesel… it is £0 to drive in my 3ltr SLK or 3.8ltr 911…:oops:
Anything other than a Euro 6 diesel costs in all the UELZ’s springing up all over the country, which is to improve air quality and nothing at all to do with revenue generation…:rolleyes:

You might not drive there now but the zones will probably come to you soon enough and kill the residual value in your diesel…

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I guess it's not just emission zones where you live. If you have to pass through one on a journey then you're going to be affected. That said, l suppose most cities etc have bypass routes etc

OP
K

KingKlazzikal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC
I see your points, personally I don't think that's much of a deciding factor for me at this point anyway, I live in Southend, the current expansion currently only goes up to the A406 (certain areas). congestion charge never was a problem as I never drove into London city (who dafuq drives into London anyway lol, its a nightmare), my Sat Navs always avoid toll roads, the only one I pay for is the Dartford crossing coz that saves me literally driving around London.

So what I'm trying to say is yes you're right I would pay if i drove through an ULEZ, but I don't think that would matter much as a deciding factor, for instance i wouldn't buy a house close to the Dartford crossing coz then i have to pay just leave my house.
The current state of the ULEZ isn't much of a deciding factor IMO for me, and I seriously doubt they'll ever be moving that to the sticks in Essex lol.

On that note I don't think my OP has been fully answered, and i really appreciate your responses, but all you've told me is don't buy diesel coz of ULEZ?
Whereas what I'm really trying to decide on is;
the CLC200k better than the CLC220CDI in terms of remap?
after remap which has a better MPG and efficiency?
which is worth it? or is it worth it at all to even remap the 200K? or just leave stock.

Much Appreciated.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
More power equals more fuel usage…

Try them both and decide how you like the power delivery. Diesel give a nice good low down shove, petrol you have to give it some more but has a greater range.
I’d also check the engines out as some have some undocumented features that you should be aware of M271 can have cam chain and sprocket issues

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It’s taken me ages to get used to the OM646 diesel in my CLK. I think it’s the same engine in the CLC you mentioned. When cold it’s noisy and quite coarse but it does settle down quite well once fully warmed up. It’s reasonably powerful but certainly no great ball of fire and like Blobcat says, has decent low down torque. Economy is good. Having said all of this, l don’t think I’d buy another diesel engined car. My SLK 230 petrol has a lot more power, is generally smoother (especially when cold) but definately uses more fuel. Both engines are absolutely standard, no mapping etc. Good luck with your decision.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom