CLC - Converting brakelights to LEDs

imspringcleaning

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 2008 1.8 Kompressor
all,
Just got my first Mercedes (2008 CLC-beginner class!!!) and loving it...

Seeking your pearls of wisdom, as I plan to replace the tungsten filament brake lights bulbs with LED (mainly as I hate changing bulbs!) I know they need to be Canbus compliant, and I believe the bulbs needed are (1157 380)

So.... If you've got experience of trying this on a CLC (or similar).....
Q: What have you learned that I should know?!
Q: Did you see sufficient difference in brightness between "light on at night" and "braking!!!" ... I've seen reviews saying the LED bulbs aren't so good in this respect, but these comments are 2009 - so could be tosh by now!
Q: Red LEDs or White? (planning on going for Red - but pls tell me if i'm being a berk:confused:)
Q: Is this a legal change to make!

Basically much as I hate changing bulbs, I'm going to REALLY hate someone tail-ending my pride and joy; so any changes I make need WORK and be SAFE and LEGAL!

So just wondered what experience is out there on the forum. Thanks fellow drivers....

Chris
"always better to learn from someone else's mistakes rather than making your own":lol:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i cant comment about the replacement LED 'bulbs' BUT ive followed a member here who had LED lights fitted to their car, on a dark, dismal wet night (sound familiar, Malcolm?) and when their brakes were applied, the lights went from a red light in the rain, to a bright glow that seemed to fill the sky within a half mile radius of its source! those things were BRIGHT!!!!

going for red LED's, unless the lenses are clear would, IMO, be a bad idea as the light units will be filtered into a red colour TWICE (at the bulb and again at the lens) and something like this will make the lights appear duller and may be the reason people say there isnt enough difference between side and brake light brightness

personally, if your budget can stretch to it, id opt for a full LED replacement light unit, rather than just the bulbs

Lexman8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (2001): Distronic, Bose, Keyless Go; Honda CR-V EX (2011)
It's better to use red LEDs for the rear lights as white ones tend to produce a pinkish colour through a red lens. There's very little reduction in brightness with red ones as the wavelength of light from the LEDs will mostly pass through a red lens.

My understanding is that, strictly speaking, they would be illegal as the car didn't have them as original fitment.

OP
I

imspringcleaning

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 2008 1.8 Kompressor
Thank you guys....

Much appreciate your advise and experience.... Will have a think on it and let you know how it goes if I do try them.thanks Chris.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
LED's can look good in a fitment intended for them but if you get a good LED to replace a standard bulb the result will be one that looks like the an original filament.

100% agree with Lexman8, a red LED behind a red filter are not further reduced.
As white LED's are usually much whiter than filament bulbs, they do look pink and will have more of the light filtered out by a red lens (only the red part of the spectrum can get through, all other colours that make up white will be cut off).

Cheap LED's can and do fail, often in a shorter time than a filament bulb would.
So, in reality there's no benefit with LED and you lose the dash warning when they do fail.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom