CLC Cycle Carrier

ivegotcclass

Reaction score
Has anyone got recommendations on what the best cycle carrier would be for a CLC?

I would prefer to stick with a good manufacturer rather than anything from Stealfords. I think Shule and also if there is an official MB one would be my preference.

Ideally I need it to take two medium weight mountain bikes (one ladies, one male) and if it is a roof mounted one, for it still to allow my panoramic sunroof to function fully.

Any keen cyclists on here that can advise?

PS: I'm not a pro cyclist, just thinking about starting a new hobby to get me some fresh air and get a bit fitter. :)

Last edited:

Bowruss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Estate 211 Avantgarde 2004 with sports option, Comand, etc.
Although you mention Halfords, I've found that their tow-bar mounted cow-horn type to be a great design.

You don't say if you have a tow bar. If you do, this is probably the best way to go. Youu don't have the lifting, the worrying about ferry/Tunnel height barriers (I once saw someone rip three bikes of their roof after forgetting a height bar at the Tunnel...) and the extra wind noise and drag.

You do have to be aware that access to tailgate/boot may be difficult but I seem to remember that the Halfords one (yep) had a tliting device. Maybe others on here can confirm or refute.

You should also think about security. I used a long wire with eyelets for a padlock on each end. This was threaded through the bikes not forgetting wheels which are easily whipped off.

Also the best and cheapest anti-rub device is that grey foam slitted tubing that is used over pipes. Dead cheap at - no not Halfords - B&Q.

Hope all this is of some use.

Russ.

OP
ivegotcclass

ivegotcclass

Reaction score
Cheers Russ, thanks for the response.

I don't have a tow bar.

I've compared/looked at both rear and roof carriers and I think I would prefer the roof option, it maybe more expensive but I'm happy to spend the extra if it has better benefits and also looks better aesthetically. I hate seeing bikes on the rear of cars in the summer (usually old Astras) often with a wheel spinning and an extra number plate all squint. ;-)

I can imagine the missus complaining if we are on a tour and she can't get into the boot for the bikes being mounted and I also think they may interfere with my parking sensors (which the new CLC ones are great IMO!!).

I'm still strong enough and the bikes I'm looking at will be light to hoist to the roof.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom