CLC220 2008 diesel - whining noise

Gail

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC220 diesel
I have had a whine on my clc220 diesel auto for a week. Gets worse when turning. Not there at all when stationary, nor when revving when stationary. It does change when driving as the engine is moving up through the gears.

I thought this was the power steering fluid levels and have today topped it up with Mercedes supplied product. But still the whine is there, although the steering is now back to being light (normal).

- Does it take time for the fluid to work its way through before whine stops?
- What else could it be?

In any case, there seems to be a leak from the reservoir as there was 'oil' on the top surface of the reservoir before i topped it up. So another question is: can i buy a reservoir top only (maybe the seal to the reservoir is damaged/old/not functioning?)

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Hi Gail, It sounds like your power steering pump may be on the way out. Any decent garage should be able to diagnose that quite easily.

OP
G

Gail

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC220 diesel
Hi Gail, It sounds like your power steering pump may be on the way out. Any decent garage should be able to diagnose that quite easily.
Thanks Taffy7hfa, I thought it might be the turbo. But steering pump sounds cheaper! Will get garage to give a price.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom