Cleaning a CLK rconvertible roof

rimbo

Reaction score
Website
www.bognor-rfc.com
Your Mercedes
2001 CLK 320 Convertible
Hi all. Firstly a proper hello as this is my first post. I've just bought a 2001 CLK 320 convertible (after going through loads of posts on here - thanks) and am totally in love! Still got the grin factor everytime I drive it and wonder why I didn't buy a Merc years ago!!

Anyways, my question. The roof (blue on a silver car) is a little grubby. It doesn't seem to be stains, more general dirt. I've tried using the claening kit (turtle wax convertible cleaner) that came with it (un-used I hasten to add!), but it doesn't really seem to have had an impact. Can anyone recommend a decent restorer/cleaner/waterproofer kit?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The MB kit cost £25 and works very well,it contains all that you need

Ghost CLS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS63 AMG Black / SL500 Black / CLK 320 Coupe Dark Blue / BMW Z3 2.8 Black Soft Top
I'll second the vote for Renovo products.

I use them on my Z3. Use the cleaner, then the dye, then the waterproofer. Spent last Saturday messing about as it ws the first nice weekend to work out side. You do need most of a day as you need to let each job dry before the next.

I find once a year is enough, but I put the hard top on for the winter months.

Miles.

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
I'll add another vote in favour of Renovo. Used it with much success... or to be fair I should say, the wife did (on the car I might add!). Need to be careful what is said on here ;)

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160
The CLK cabriolet roofs are fantastic as they were built in mind to be plenty strong enough to go through a car wash!!

I would stick to an Autoglym product as I swear by them. They must do something.

OP
R

rimbo

Reaction score
Website
www.bognor-rfc.com
Your Mercedes
2001 CLK 320 Convertible
Excellent. Thanks all for the advice. Time to get out and start cleaning then me thinks. Cheers.

AndrewIles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 55 AMG
AutoGlym do have a convertible cleaner kit. You can get it from Halfords for about £20.

It comes with a special sponge that agitates the cleaner to a foam. If the roof is especially dirty you may have to clean it a few times.

Remember to reproof the roof once it is dry. Reproofing Protector is included in the kit, but it can only be applied once the roof has dried.

Speedmaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 55 AMG
I will almost vote for Renovo products.

I also had a CLK with a blue roof and prior to that a BMW M3 with a blue roof and their product cleaned them well and gave them a much stronger colour. Recommended :)

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom