Climate control unit bulb holder

hugsy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
500sl/2005 w230 and 2004 ML350
Hi
I have a 1997 500sl and I am trying to source the bulb holder for the climate control unit.It houses the 1.2w LED bulb (which is totally inadequate for illuminating the unit,by the way) which then slots in to the back of the unit,and operates when the ignition and side/main beam switch is turned on.I have tried my main dealer ,and while be can supply the LED bulb ,he says the little plastic bulb holder is part of the unit!! Any suggestions or help would be appreciated

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
You call it an LED "bulb", but mine is just a normal incandesant "bulb" these little "bulbs" do have a tendancy to discolour over time and this really does effect the amount of illumination they give out.
If you have,nt tried replacing it? I would do this first, as i think this will cure your problem.

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
Are you sure the rheostat is functioning correctly?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Are you sure the rheostat is functioning correctly?

If it was not, the other bulbs would go out as well, I have one almost the same in for repair, but I have not opened it as of yet.

What can happen is the PCB can go open circuit on one of the copper tracks, this also happens on the very late 129's with tell tale bulb in the cluster.

One must not over look the rear connectors as the bulb is on its own wires

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
I was referring to the brightness, Malcolm. The lux should be fine!

Najib

Reaction score
same here

Hello,i have the same problem,but my car is w124 300e 1992,i have the automatic climate control,if iam NOT using it then the light is working fine,just when i switch it on then it becomes the same story as urs.i tried the fuses the sensors but no luck,but mine slowly dims and then dies.
hopefully we ll get some help.
thank u all

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The contacts are made by the little side contacts on the bulb holder, these need to be bent slightly so that the contact with the PCB that it goes into is sound.

You will notice that you have to press the holder down to insert it, the opens the contacts if pushed too hard. just leave the control unit loose, and try it, if the bulb goes out try just moving the holder

Najib

Reaction score
thank u for the reply first of all,i already changed the bulbs and i drove for sometime and as soon as the light whent dim i try with a small screw driver to press on the pulp it self or even to move with it,but nothing at all.
so do u think that i should take it appart and try resolding it??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The first move must be sure that 12 volt is going to the bulb from the plug on the rear.
If there is 12 volt on the plug, but no on the bulb then the PCB has an open circuit track. and this can be found with a meter.

Take care if you open it, the last one broke it even more, and I had to fix it for him

Najib

Reaction score
i have to contol it then,by the way how much it will cost for u to fix it for me,i can post it to u to england???
again thank u for the help

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Though I can fix them I do not like doing it, and only do it when members are in trouble. Also I would have thousands of thing to fix, and I do not want that now.
If you open it up, take car with the ribbon cables, they are solid and fracture

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom