CLK 200 W209 SRS Problems

lyrobertson

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking for some help and advice.

I have a CLK 200 W209 with the dreaded SRS light. It has been on for a while and we can't quite get to the bottom of it. I have read through the many thread about this and have tried most things to no avail. It came on after moving the front passenger seat, to put two small children and their car seats in, so my gut feel is that it is something to do with this.

So last update for an indy was that my SRS Control Module needed replaced as it was not getting power.

The fault are as follows:
Seat belt presenters no working either side
No seat belt warning alarms
Courtesy lights not coming on when opening doors.

Window drop and mirror working fine when opening doors, so the door thing is working fine.

Have checked all the connectors under the seats, the yellow on with two wires on both driver and passenger are not getting power. The yellow connector on the passenger seat with three pins is getting power.

I have used electrical cleaners on all points, WD40 in the seat belt buckles - still nothing.

No getting any error codes from any diagnostics. We did have one a few days ago related to wire under passenger seat, noticed that the 2 pin was unplugged.

So any advice? Or should I just be getting a new SRS module. Would really hate to spend that kind of money if it was just a broken wire or fuse!!

Would appreciate any help or advice anyone was able to give.

Many thanks
Lynne

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
What does a STAR read out say Lynne

OP
L

lyrobertson

Reaction score
What does a STAR read out say Lynne

Hi, thanks for getting back.

Star cannot talk to my car. So not getting any readings. Another diagnostic could talk to my car and it came up with about 20 faults, all now cleared, but nothing about the SRS!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, thanks for getting back.

Star cannot talk to my car. So not getting any readings. Another diagnostic could talk to my car and it came up with about 20 faults, all now cleared, but nothing about the SRS!

If STAR cannot read anything then the fuse for the diagnostic socket could have blown.

We have never had a case where a new ECU was needed

OP
L

lyrobertson

Reaction score
Sorry mistake. Control unit is getting power (albeit only one corner).

Thanks

OP
L

lyrobertson

Reaction score
Oh exciting....!

Where would the fuse be for that exactly?

OP
L

lyrobertson

Reaction score
I will find the fuse diagram and have a look and see what happens.

It went on a diagnostic last week and we could read it the codes, just nothing about the SRS.

Thank you for getting back to me. Much appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If there is nothing showing in STAR then a faulty module, it is a matter of using STAR correctly and look at the CAN bus etc, so he needs to go the the SRS components and not the fault codes

OP
L

lyrobertson

Reaction score
Thank you.

I can't get back on to a STAR, but will try my friends diagnostic again tomorrow and look for the things you mentioned.

It was on 2 STAR machines and both told me new control unit (approx £1500) as STAR could not talk to my car... Obviously I would prefer looking into all other possibilities before getting the new unit. Silly I know, but I just get the feeling that it is something really simple!!

I will also look at the fuses tomorrow also.

Thank you so much for your help. These forums to help and save money!!

Thanks Lynne

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are no ECU's that cost that much

OP
L

lyrobertson

Reaction score
Well that is good to know. At least if it does turn out to be the control unit I might be able to afford it.

Will give all this a try tomorrow and see what happens. In your experience would it be unlikely to be the control unit? The expense seems to be having to get it coded to the chassis by Merc and taking out dash etc, and of course the part.

Fingers crossed for me, as I really could do with a small cost fix.

Thank you for all your help.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could I ask if a mercedes guy is doing this job, the dash does not have to come out

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Control module is around £400 its under the center console on the tunnel.............

We are seeing a lot of SRS control modules going down this year, most on 230 models.....

OP
L

lyrobertson

Reaction score
Hi Guys

One guy was at Merc (but was looking at my car as a favour), he said couldn't connect to Star, told us to check that control unit was getting power, if getting power (one corner was) it was def control unit gone wrong, new one needed.

The £1500 guys was an Indy, again he said could connect - probably new control unit.

Another Indy, couldn't connect either...but he was more willing to look at fuses and wires before committing to new control unit.

So I am looking at all the little things, before shelling out for a new unit, as no guarantee that will even fix the SRS light.

Thanks for all your posts, and also for the fact that you are experiencing some of this, although mine is a 200 Kompressor. Also have an intermittent engine management light problem...but that is for another day!

Thank you both for reading and replying

Lynne

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom