CLK 200K Misfire

lyrobertson

Reaction score
Hello
First post so please bear with me!
I have a 55 plate CLK 200K, 44K miles. A few months ago my engine management light came on, was going up hill, about 4000rpm, then loss of power and the car drove like a pig. Was all fine again after i switched the engine off. Happened a couple of other times.

Went to Merc dealer who told me that it was likely to be 'sticky' values and would need total engine stripped down (not cheap!). Fault code was misfire on cylinder 2.

He swapped over cylinder 2 and 3 just to check it wasn't anything else.
Car then ran fine for 3 months, no problems, high revs, uphill, flats, perfect.
Then fault back again yesterday.....

I just can't understand why if it was a mechanical fault it went away for 3 months??

So we have bought a replacement coil pack to try that, but we don't know which cylinder is number 3 (where hopefully a faulty coil pack is now sitting and not an expensive new engine) Is is just as simple as the third one from the front, or is it in reference to the firing order?

Any help or advise would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
Lynnehttp://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
yes, it is as simple as the first one from the front.

any chance of those fault codes from the dealer? would likely be p0302 cylinder2 misfiring damages TWC. some of the 271 engines like yours suffered poor valve seating and need either new valves, guides and seats or just valve seat refacing depending who you ask. we have done just one of these to the latter spec (by a professional machine shop), expect to pay around £900 all in. a compression test may prove diagnostic.

OP
L

lyrobertson

Reaction score
Hi Alexander

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

I don't have the actual codes, however they did do a compression test which was totally fine, which is why they tried to swap the coil packs over. The car drives great, just totally random if and when the fault happens in total it has happened 4 times in just over 3 months. I drive the car every day. Last time was Monday, but this morning the light had gone off again, all very strange!

Do you think we are wasting out time trying the new coil pack ?

Thank you
Lynne

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
who knows really, it`s certainly cheaper than the other option!

i don`t really see ignition coil problems on anything post 1998, not even on the 112/113 engines as others do (usually ht lead problem on these).

here's a question, does it ever idle (tickover) very roughly? this goes with the valve problem scenario. obviously spark plugs should be changed at correct intervals, and your dealer should have put in a new plug with the coil swap really. i would suggest you at least have your fault codes read now the diagnostic swap has been done , are you anywhere near suffolk ;)

OP
L

lyrobertson

Reaction score
Hiya

No idle problems - smooth and constant, no noises, rattles, nothing!! Car always been main dealer services - due for one in about 4K.

We will give the coil pack a try and see what happens - sadly Suffolk not handy - I am in Glasgow! I am just hoping that it is something simple as the sticky valve thing just doesn't seem to add up, as the car runs perfectly.

If it was a sticky value problem would it be constant or would it be intermittent like this? The misfire clears the minute I restart the engine, and after a day or so the engine management light goes off.

Thank you for your help.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If this was the valve seats or head the fault could not have corrected its self for 3 months,,so coil pack or injector.

the faults on the 271 some years back were where the valve seats cracked and new heads needed,,but I cannot see that being needed here

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
get yourself a ODBII code scanner. read the values for the misfires, move the coil packs to a diff pot, reset the errors and retest, see if the error stays with the pot or the coil pack

OP
L

lyrobertson

Reaction score
thank you Malcolm and Mark

We will try replacement coil, injector and spark plugs in cylinder 3 and see what happens.

I did think it was unlikely that a major mechanical fault would go away for 3 months, and after just a simple restart of the engine....!

Fingers crossed

Lynne

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom