Clk 270cdi water from header tank going into washer bottle??

alf1956

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk270 cdi diesel
Hello fellow members'
I have a very strange thing happening to my 55 plate Clk270cdi auto, I have noticed that I am putting lots of water in the header tank on a daily basis at first I thought it may be the problem with the valeo radiator scenario but I checked the transmission fluid regular & the level has not risen so today I was topping up the header tank & the washer bottle so with the top of the washer bottle I topped up the header tank & noticed to my amazement that the water level in the washer bottle rose as I poured water in the header tank & subsequently the water level went down in accordance with the water bottle level going up! I also noticed that I have a tiny pinhole leak on a plastic elbow situated at the rear of the engine on the passenger side (I will attach a photo). This has puzzled me no end as I cannot see the connection between the header tank & washer bottle & will be grateful for any advice on this problem

Attachments

• merc water leak 1.JPG
    merc water leak 1.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 19
  • merc water leak 2.JPG
    merc water leak 2.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 18

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Likely culprit is the coolant header tank, they are prone to leaking.

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
I presume you have a heated washer tank which is fed with hot engine coolant through two pipes that go into the tank ,and there must be a leak in the pipework inside washer tank which would explain how the levels are rising.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
+1 for heated washer tank. I remember couple of cases with W210 where washer heating pipes has been leaking...

OP
A

alf1956

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk270 cdi diesel
There is no connection between either...a complete red herring somewhere!!
Been on another Merc forum & apparently there is a link between the 2 Steve, my car has a heated washer bottle which has an element in it which is connected to the cooling system & the "O" rings fail so you get coolant from the header tank passing into the washer bottle or vice versa, I have seen this with my own eyes when I was poring water into the header tank & it ma

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Been on another Merc forum & apparently there is a link between the 2 Steve, my car has a heated washer bottle which has an element in it which is connected to the cooling system & the "O" rings fail so you get coolant from the header tank passing into the washer bottle or vice versa, I have seen this with my own eyes when I was poring water into the header tank & it ma

An important piece of information left out!! If it has heated washer bottle then yes there would be an element there, I just didn't associate that with a CLK a rare piece of spec indeed, not often you see that. Usually see it on E classes etc.

Everyday is a school day!

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom