Clk 320 cab, underbody noise.

Daxa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500 AMG Blueefficiency. Fully Specced Black with Sahara interior
Hi folks, I've got a weird knocking noise coming from under the car (passenger side front) as I turn left onto an incline..... Any suggestions As to the cause, I was told it could be a lower ball joint?

Ps I'm definitely NOT going to a MD for this one, the last time they tried to fleece me for £1341.00 to repair a roof closing problem. Guess what? It turned out to be a £54.00 switch!!!

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
A bottom ball joint or one of the anti roll bar bushes could be the cause, the ball joint is not always easy to check, when you lift the car it can become loaded onto an unworn internal surface and no slop can be found.
I have checked them on 201 and 124 models with an axle stand taking the weight under the ball joint and a big lever to lift the strut, this puts the suspension in its normal working position.

Take it to an indie, it's a straight forward no hassle job.

OP
D

Daxa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks Wireman, got it sorted, had both front ball joints replaced including the anti roll bar bushes, seems ok now but still a little knocking from the rear?
I read that it could be the anti link roll bar...... If this is sited towards the rear of the car it may be the problem.
Otherwise, no other major problems that I haven't already sorted out.

Many thanks again. Daxa:)

OP
D

Daxa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clunking noise still there...... Aaahhhh!!! Help :)

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Something to check on the cabriolets is the four strengthening arms bolted to the underside of the car. There are x2 at the front of the car and x2 at the rear. There are positioned diagonally across the underside of the vehicle. If any of the fixing bolts come slightly loose you will get horrible clonking noises.

OP
D

Daxa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi folks...... I've fixed it!!!!
Having changed all front ball joints, and rear springs I finally took the underbody sway bars off and put them back on REAL tight no more noise or clonking!!!!

Many thanks all xx :D

finn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk convertible 1999 230k
Clunking noise when turning into an incline eliminated.

Hi, I would just like to mention that I fixed a bad clunking noise from under the car which could be heard and felt when turning into an incline or even when doing a 3 point turn on a cambered road. My local garage had the car up on ramps twice and could not find the source. After doing a quick search here, I read about tightening the bolts on the 4 diagonal cross braces under the car. Only one of the bolts actually turned at the recommended torque settings and this only turned by a quarter but this has totally eliminated the clunk. Don't do as I did and use one of the Torque/Torx sockets with the hole in the middle as mine snapped on the 1st bolt. Thanks to WG-MB who previously posted this info.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom