CLK 55 AMG Buyers Guide

T

Tom@PPC

Hi guys, I'm Tom from Practical Performance Car magazine, we are writing a buyers guide on the CLK 55 AMG (Coupe probably) in the next couple of months and require some info on possible problems for buyers to look out for and reasons why this car is so good.

As much and as detailed info as possible would be appreciated as I'm not that up on my Mercs! :Oops: :rolleyes:

Cheers guys

Tom

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
We have a few members with them, so some answers should be forth coming

puffsorted

Reaction score
Had mine for coming up 3 months, 2001 CLK55 AMG, Silver, 80000 miles, Comand, Nappa leather, PDC, Xenons, sunroof, Folding mirrors.

Things to look out for...

Very few AMG related problems, just standard W208 CLK stuff

Rust on the rear arches and around the boot lock. MB will fix FOC as long as car is under 8 yrs old and you must have owned in for 6 months plus have good (not perfect) MBSH

AMG body kit very low to the ground, replacements hard and expensive to come by.

Temp and Clock LCDs almost always have pixel issues. Not a hard DIY fix most of the time.

16 Spark plugs so check when last changed

Climate Control buttons fragile.

Stonechips, probably spent life blasting up and down the motorway. Great for the engine, not for the windscreen and bonnet.

Good MPG, 28 possible on Motorway

Whats so good....

Power, proper low down grunt from massive torque. Still shocked by the power now and I had a TVR Griffith 500 before.

Noise!!! Not TVR loud, but TVR rumble

Surprisingly nimble, reasonable weight

Build quality, feels like a tank, old school Mercedes

Beautiful, classy, timeless classic to look at.

Autobox quick acting in manual mode

Superb GT with the ability to swat pesky hot hatches with effortless ease

Practical, decent cabin space even in the rear. Big boot.

Whats not so good....

Comand not exactly state of the art

Not very AMG inside, lots of kits but not much else. Discrete little AMG badge in Speedo. Traction control light does its best to remind you though - flashes a lot!!

errr and not a lot else

Last edited:

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BRABUS SL55 K8 (R230), SL500 (R129), B Class B200 CDi, VW T5 Transporter.
CLK55 AMG Supercharged??

Hi is the CLK55 AMG Supercharged, if not, what year did AMG start supercharging them?

OP
T

Tom@PPC

Excellent, that's all good stuff, cheers.

Anyone else got anything to add?

puffsorted

Reaction score
Excellent, that's all good stuff, cheers.

Anyone else got anything to add?

The options when new I believe were (and how to spot them)

Comand Colour Sat Nav (Obvious big screen in centre console, this is easily the most desirable option)

Bose HiFi (Bose badges on rear speakers)

Electric Sunroof (Obvious big hole in roof, can give problems but a simple reset usually solves, process listed in manual)

Xenon Lights (Dashboard will not have leveling switch next to light switch as Xenons get auto leveling. Bottom part of the headlight is clear and usual blue type light when on)

Headlamp washers (Small squares on bumper in front of lights. Extra button on dash next to passenger heated seat switch)

Mobile Phone Prep (Cradle in centre console, aftermarket bluetooth addon is available)

Lingatronic Voice Control (Not sure, mine does not have)

Park Distance Control (Sensors in bumpers, displays on top of dash and in rear headlining, button on passenger side centre console, behind Stability Control Switch)

Electric Fold Mirrors (Button on drivers side centre console, in front of passenger airbag disabled warning light)

Electric Rear Blind (Button on drivers side centre console, in front of passenger airbag disabled warning light)

TV (Only available with Comand, press TV button and see of a picture appears, will say 'No TV' if not fitted)

Nappa Leather, not sure if an option or not (Softer and non perforatted compared to normal CLK leather)

Designo Leather (Various two tone shades, usually black and white with matching steering wheel)

Last edited:

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Hi is the CLK55 AMG Supercharged, if not, what year did AMG start supercharging them?

Nope - I don't think the CLK ever got the supercharged engine.

Lots of electronic bits to go wrong - and being a mid 2000's Mercedes means they probably will....

Lovely engine, gearbox and brakes though. Steering is better in the W09 than the W208 (rack and pinion at last) but still not as much feel as a Porsche.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom