CLK bubbling wheel arches

Dobbie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/06/petrol
I have been the second owner of a 2006 CLK500 for eight years. Always garaged and, I thought, well looked after! Looks pristine inside and out with only 118,000 miles, except, now has paint bubbling around both rear wheel arches!

Is there a satisfactory solution to this or is it the beginning of the end? I love the car and would like to enjoy it for another year or two if possible.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
You need a good bodyshop to cut it out and replace then seal it all properly

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Bubbling rust on MB rear wheel arches is sadly not uncommon. We did our 230 last summer. Now its done should be good for another few years.
As said take it to a good bodyshop and have them cut it out, weld in new and refinish it.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Depends how bad the rust is under the bubbling paint of course. If you've caught it early cutting out may not be necessary. Wire wheeling on an angle grinder is very effective in removing rust but you have to be thorough. Done this many times. Don't rely on rust converters though which in my experience never work for other than a short time.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I have been the second owner of a 2006 CLK500 for eight years. Always garaged and, I thought, well looked after! Looks pristine inside and out with only 118,000 miles, except, now has paint bubbling around both rear wheel arches!

I have a 2005 CLK with rust on all 4 arches. It was repaired by MB after it first started at 4.5 years old, and again when the rust returned at 6 years old. Sadly the rust has returned last year (now 12 years old) but as I plan to sell it soon it's not worth me repairing.
Just a thought on using a garage, I read somewhere that rust can really take hold at 40% humidity. I have a gadget for measuring humidity and as it says the house is usually around 35% I thought I would try it in the detached garage, it rocketed up to over 80% and might be why a garage is not a good place to keep a car in the damp UK climate.

Russ

Dell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 B class Exclusive Plus B180
No matter where you get it repaired and if they weld in new metal or not make sure they cold galvanise the bare steel as that will hold rust at bay for a lot longer,also make sure they seal it properly.
Dell

OP
D

Dobbie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/06/petrol
May I thank all respondents for your kindness and advice. I have learnt a lot from you and much appreciate it.

OP
D

Dobbie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/06/petrol
Not sure why I did not think to ask before but, does anyone know a really good body shop in the Nottingham/Derby area, or even further away for the right shop?

Mercfan99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLK 220 CDI Auto
I have a 2005 CLK with rust on all 4 arches. It was repaired by MB after it first started at 4.5 years old, and again when the rust returned at 6 years old. Sadly the rust has returned last year (now 12 years old) but as I plan to sell it soon it's not worth me repairing.
Just a thought on using a garage, I read somewhere that rust can really take hold at 40% humidity. I have a gadget for measuring humidity and as it says the house is usually around 35% I thought I would try it in the detached garage, it rocketed up to over 80% and might be why a garage is not a good place to keep a car in the damp UK climate.

Russ
Having rust appear on a merc or any car at 4 year's old is disgusting. I feel Mercedes-Benz have seriously over stated the quality of their paint shops. Have 10 year old clk rusting around rear wheel arches already. Previously drove a 16 year old Honda and not a spec of rust anywhere. So, mercs post 2005 still happily rusting away.

My Honda wasn't garaged at all for 7 years.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Ive got two rear wheel arch repair panels i had to order from Poland and both arches have corrosion, when i get time and fit enough il have to cut all rust away , replace with good metal and seal n repair n paint, put two good front wings on as old ones were rotten as a pear!!

morgluis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 GLA 250 2.0
Had the same issue but surface rust only.

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B

Russ
Quick change of OP subject, cheap humidity meters are useless, hopelessly inaccurate. I put 3 remote sensors together all gave wildly different readings.
check on google.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Quick change of OP subject, cheap humidity meters are useless, hopelessly inaccurate. I put 3 remote sensors together all gave wildly different readings.
check on google.
It was a rather expensive dehumidifier unit. I think it's quite accurate.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom