CLK Conv Window Stop

gazzab

Reaction score
Hi
I have copies of a couple of PDFs that show how to adjust the window stop on a 2002 (old shape) CLK convertible.
I havent got the sheets that show how to remove rear seats though. Anyone got these?
Has anyone tried adjusting the rear stop - it looks like a job for a professional rather than me I think...!!? I dont want to pay a fortune though.
Finally - the rubber strip will need replacing (again) - the one on the edge of the rear qtr window. Does anyone know if it should come with a stick tape to hold it in place? The old one I removed had this but new one didnt (And needs doing again).
ta
Gary

OP
G

gazzab

Reaction score
bump..........

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Its not a difficult fix.

rear bottom seat just pulls up.
rear back has 2 screws behind the arm rest cover and 3 bolts on the bottom
flip the roof but dont close the last section, there is a single bolt that holds the side trim in place, remove that.
remove the 1 screw and wind deflector mounting surround
remove the side trims edges, and stainless plate at the top, 2 screws
remove the window trims.
pull the side panel away, the correct way is to remove all of the seatbelt mountings but its easy enough to pull it all to the side.
the window stop has a single torx bolt (cant recall the size sorry)
loosen the torx and there is a small amount of movement up and down, but I think you will find that the plastic edge of the stop has broken off so you will need to remanufacture the angle, or buy a new window stop.

word of warning, the stop sits between the inside metal tram and the window, therees no room for fingers to hold it in place.

How I did mine was:
unscrew torx, listen to the clang as it fell out of sight (a few strange words followed)
remade the angle out of what was left (reshaped the metal, bad I know but hey, the car was in bits and i wasnt going to put it back and wait a week for parts)

hook up some stiff wire to the stop to use as a position guide, wedge the window outwards with something plastic and lower the stop, using the stiff wire, manouver the stop into position to line up with your torx bolt. tighten up a little, release the window wedges and operate the window, adjusting the torx bolt as you go until you have it set at the correct window height. now release the stiff wire that you have been using to support the stop and recheck the height, and tighten.

Last edited:
OP
G

gazzab

Reaction score
Thanks - I really appreciate you taking the time to post up that explanation!

OP
G

gazzab

Reaction score
ps anyone know if the rubber seals on the rear side windows are held in place with anything eg double sided sticky? thanks

OP
G

gazzab

Reaction score
thanks - I am referring to the seal that runs at the leading edge of the rear window to allow it to seal against the drivers side window. The one I took out how some double sided sticky. The replacement I fitted was getting forced up by the drivers window. Maybe addressing the 'stop' will help.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I can check tonight, to see if it is mentioned

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have not yet had to look at this on mine so cant offer anything to help, but get the window stop fixed either way as it may be creating more outwards pressure on the door seal.

alexpress

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 CLK 230K convertible 2002 SLK 200K convertible.
rubber seal

I have not yet had to look at this on mine so cant offer anything to help, but get the window stop fixed either way as it may be creating more outwards pressure on the door seal.

Hi

I replaced mine recently. The seal is fitted into two channels in the metal part on the glass. Two sided tape or glue is used by those who want to try a cheap fix. The new seal is £40.

After removal of the old seal, you need to clear the channels if needed and get rid of any other gunk.

I ran a small amount of washing up liquid down the channel to help ease the way for the new seal. The top of the seal now has two rubber flaps which have to be placed between the glass and the metal at the top of the glass. Be careful as you prise the glass. The flaps may have to be trimmed.

Good luck.

Alex

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi

I replaced mine recently. The seal is fitted into two channels in the metal part on the glass. Two sided tape or glue is used by those who want to try a cheap fix. The new seal is £40.

After removal of the old seal, you need to clear the channels if needed and get rid of any other gunk.

I ran a small amount of washing up liquid down the channel to help ease the way for the new seal. The top of the seal now has two rubber flaps which have to be placed between the glass and the metal at the top of the glass. Be careful as you prise the glass. The flaps may have to be trimmed.

Good luck.

Alex

Hello Alex and welcome to the forum :D

OP
G

gazzab

Reaction score
Hi

Good luck.

Alex

Cheers Alex.
Have done some more digging and they do appear to come with doubel sided tape in situ.

OP
G

gazzab

Reaction score
Had a go at this job today. Top instructions by the way thanks!
Got it all apart, the torx bolt did fall down inside as it did for you but I managed to rescue it.
My window stop was a bit knackered with the rubber bit falling off.
Tried to bend the metal rather than buy a replacement stop but when trying to refit I dropped the torx screw / bolt and now cant find it ! So off to merc tomorrow to see about a new stop and bolt.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had a go at this job today. Top instructions by the way thanks!
Got it all apart, the torx bolt did fall down inside as it did for you but I managed to rescue it.
My window stop was a bit knackered with the rubber bit falling off.
Tried to bend the metal rather than buy a replacement stop but when trying to refit I dropped the torx screw / bolt and now cant find it ! So off to merc tomorrow to see about a new stop and bolt.

Aww, so close and still so far, good luck on finishing the job

I cheated a little, I taped a magnet to a flixible tube to fish it out :)

OP
G

gazzab

Reaction score
Done the magnet thing but it seems to be well out of reach!

OP
G

gazzab

Reaction score
Rang merc this am. They couldn't find the part on their system. So I googled merc parts on-line, found the ref no and called them back. Strangely annoying and satisfying in one go!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Rang merc this am. They couldn't find the part on their system. So I googled merc parts on-line, found the ref no and called them back. Strangely annoying and satisfying in one go!

Yes a wonderful feeling,,more so when its a well known fault:D:D

OP
G

gazzab

Reaction score
Yes a wonderful feeling,,more so when its a well known fault:D:D

It's weird but if I worked for Mercedes in the parts department I would make it my job to be a total anorak re models. faults, parts etc..... I cant believe people work there and dont seem to be at all knowledgeable.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's weird but if I worked for Mercedes in the parts department I would make it my job to be a total anorak re models. faults, parts etc..... I cant believe people work there and dont seem to be at all knowledgeable.

The times that I have been in and told no parts , or do not exist, the worst one was bring told that they did not have time to look it up

OP
G

gazzab

Reaction score
the part number.......
A2086730312 (Stop Angle)

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom