CLK Fuel Pump

Maz Jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 CLK 320. Obsidian Black
The Fuel Pump on my CLK 320 W208 primes for approx 10 secs every time the car is unlocked and before the key is in the ignition.
I also get a smell of raw petrol when I fill up and also when I pull up after a bit of a sprint.
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks a lot,
Maz.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The fuel pump should do this and its normal. You turn the key, the fuel pump runs to charge the system with fuel and then stops and waits for the signal from the CPS, once received the fuel pump runs again.

Take a look at the fuel pump package for any pipes/joints that are black looking, also the return to tank pipes that run back on the other side of the car.

OP
Maz Jones

Maz Jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 CLK 320. Obsidian Black
Hi Malcolm.
My fuel pump runs and primes before I put the key in. I can unlock and without even opening a door, go to the back by the filler and hear it priming for about 10 secs. It definitely didn't do that until recently, or if it did I have never heard it ?

Last edited:

seymansey

Reaction score
I could always hear the priming when I unlocked my 202. Not sure about it being 10 seconds, mind. As Television said, check for any potential leaks. The pump might be trying to compensate for a lack of pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If it primes on just on unlocking that is wrong, very hard to wok out why, it is powered from the ignition switch or Engine ECU. A fault on the immobilizer maybe. While like this it will smell of petrol.

Top Bottom