CLK Interior Lights Problem

Ricciardo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200k coupe 2005 1.8 - 163hp
Hello,

I'm a noob here so excuse me if i am asking something already talked before.

Got a CLK coupe 200k from 2005 that started with a strange electrical problem. The interior lights dont work, even at night, as the sun roof and puddle lights.....

Tried to change the fuse went back to work for a moment but as soon as I turn on the knob for Auto lights I immediately get the same outcome with the difference that the sensor doesn't turn of the lights and the wipers also keep going.....

Went to a Mercedes garage they didn't find nothing wrong on the computer and said to me it was water on the sun roof mechanism, but I find that hard to believe the car sleeps inside and taking one particular night that froze, and i left it outside, I don't see how the water could have entered the mechanism.

Can I do any test to check where the problem is coming from?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Is the fuse for the lights actually blowing? - if yes then suspect a wiring fault, check each bulb holder for corrosion.

Are the wipers running all the time, - even with switch in OFF position? May be a switch fault.

Check all main earth points for corrosion, MBs don’t like low voltage, also check your battery.

Sunroof drains can block, so water could be an issue shorting out?

OP
R

Ricciardo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
First of all thanks for taking your time and answer my question. I'll try to check what you suggest and will give you a feedback on this.

Answering your questions:

No, the fuse it's not actually blowing although it works for a couple of times and it stops,
The wipers stop when I turn off the Auto feature,
Can't see the drains from the sunroof because it also doesn't work when all of these things happen....
Sorry about my ignorance but I'm trying to solve this by myself, where are the main earth points?

Thank you again

pattiodors

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c320 sport coupe
Hi
Have you checked the overhead control panel? If nothing works you may need a new one.
I had the same problem on my 2003 W203 but I slipped up and got one from ebay which cured the interior light problem, but threw up the light sensor inoperative on the dash, after a lot of head scratching and checking with my icarsoft scanner I had a no communication between the overhead control panel and the rain/light sensor on the windscreen, I found out that the OCP I got from ebay had a slightly different part no to the original! so if you order one make sure the part no is exact. The OCP is quite intelligent and not just a few switches! you also have the roof to contend with as well. I would go with a replacement OCP from ebay. Oh, and only test interior lights when it is dark as mine don't come on during the day.
Good luck

Last edited:
OP
R

Ricciardo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi pattiodors,
Maybe the next course of action is plugging an icarsoft scanner. Sometimes I open the car and everything is working but then I turn the ignition key on and then lights off....

Possibly you are right and I have a faulty OCP and I'm wondering it could be the light sensor ( no information about it though on the screen)

Hope I can shed some light on this in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for the help

OP
R

Ricciardo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi pattiodors,
Maybe the next course of action is plugging an icarsoft scanner. Sometimes I open the car and everything is working but then I turn the ignition key on and then lights off....

Possibly you are right and I have a faulty OCP and I'm wondering it could be the light sensor ( no information about it though on the screen)

Hope I can shed some light on this in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for the help

Hello and sorry for the long wait. With the corona pandemic the car was not the priority anymore.
Long story short the Problem was in a faulty OCP. New one put in and everything works fine again. In the garage they said the problem was caused by my led lights...... Though I think it's strange, they were not Chinese product and specifically made for this generation of clk, but nevertheless they took them off and don't think I'll put any in this me OPC.

Thanks for all the help.

Stay safe

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Is the fuse for the lights actually blowing? - if yes then suspect a wiring fault, check each bulb holder for corrosion.

Are the wipers running all the time, - even with switch in OFF position? May be a switch fault.

Check all main earth points for corrosion, MBs don’t like low voltage, also check your battery.

Sunroof drains can block, so water could be an issue shorting out?

When my alarm shorted inside due to battery leak internally, another shxxe design. That blew the fuse in the boot and interior lights stopped as well??? Does yr car beep when u lock it. With key fob If so alarm n batt prob OK. Mine was 01 clk320 w208.

OP
R

Ricciardo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had no blown fuse and no my car doesn't beep when I lock, it despite having alarm.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom