CLK rag top body style question

TVR Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
350 E Cabriolet 2014
I have been looking at CLK convertibles (not necessarily to buy) and am interested in the change in body style that seemed to happen about 2003. The most obvious visible difference from the models I've seen pictures of is the front lights - with earlier models appearing to have E class lights and later ones C class lights.

Is this correct or have I totally lost the plot? What other differences are there?

Dave

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
Change came around 2002.
CLK is based on C class platform and was updated to new platform following C class update. Note that the interior is based on the E class.

Pre 02 reference is W208 and post W209.

We have members who prefer one or the other but remember that until late 03 Mercedes did not galvanise the bodies and rust can be an issue. For safety go for an 04 car onwards.

Others will advise ref. soft top as mine is a coupe.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just saying a build after 04-04 would be the one to go for,,Nano paint and no gearbox/Valeo problem/ no rust

J

jon_harley

The change to the CLK coupes came in 2002 as PeterCLK says but the changes only came to the soft-tops in summer 2003 in the UK.

The easiest ways to tell them apart on the road are: at the front, W208 headlights were two separate ovals, W209 has merged together ovals like the C-class did for a while and the SL-class still does. At the back, W208 light clusters crossed over onto the boot lid, but on the W209 they don't. The W208 also had a prominent keyhole on the boot lid which you often see looking rusty, which was removed for the W209 (the keyhole is tucked away under the overhang above the number plate).

Volson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
350 SL 1982
I am looking for a rag top to replace my old one it is for 1982 350 SL.
thanks Val

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom