CLK W208 supercharger stops working when engine warms up

essexbenz

Reaction score
Hi all, kinda need some help here. I have checked out loads of forums about this problem and when its listed there are no replies. Last time i posted here you lot where great so thanks in advance. My problem is as follows.

1) Car seems alot faster when i start here from cold. When it reaches normal operating temp it kinda feels life less (natuarlly aspirated). I have done the following things.

Cleaned MAF and pipe work as stated on a thread here somwhere
Noticed that with bonnet up supercharger wheel only turns very slowly at 4000rpm when the auto cut kicks in

The breather hose from supercharger to engine was off and cracked changed it but still the same. Could it poss be 1) Secondary air valve? MAF? O2 Sensor? Lambada sensor? vacume hoses?Supercharger clutch/bearing? some type of non return valve blocked? these are all the things that i have found to be related, how do you check each one with out buying the part?

Please guys im really banging my head. Thanks

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the o2 sensor and lambda sensor are the same thing. they are just 2 different names for the same item. just thought id let you know that you have 1 item less than you thought you had to check!

OP
E

essexbenz

Reaction score
Thanks for that, your right, 1 less thing to check. any idea on the prob?

jimsinessex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W209 CLK 320CDI Coupe
Noticed that with bonnet up supercharger wheel only turns very slowly at 4000rpm when the auto cut kicks in

That puzzles me. The pulley wheel on the supercharger is driven by the poly V-belt all the time and it would be obvious if the belt was slipping to that extent. The flat disc on the outside of the pulley wheel is attached to the supercharger by the clutch and you should see the 3 pins move when the clutch engages. When checking from under the bonnet that happens at about 2000 rev/min. When actually driving the car, even inching forward at idle, you should just hear the clutch engage from inside at 800 rev/min (I think the difference is due to the ECU seeing load, however small, on the engine)

The outer disc is stationary at idle and if it only moves slowly at 4000 rev/min I can only think that the clutch is not fully engaging.

Clutch assemblies are available from MB.

Where in essex are you? I may be able to help you diagnose the fault if you are local to me. I happen to have a spare supercharger from a W208 230K by the way!

PM me if you wish and I will let you have my 'phone number if this would help.

Jim

Top Bottom