CLK w209 Comand retrofit

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to retrofit a Comand unit to my 2006 w209 CLK (Face Lift). I have done a lot of reading on the topic but want to make sure that I'm 100% familiar with the process & know what I'm doing whilst at it - without having any concerns or uncertainties.

I'll only be choosing a unit which is from a w209 CLK (Face Lift) & comes with the original navigation disc.

Now - I'm familiar with the dash disassembling process & I'm pretty sure that the wiring loom stays the same as it was on the Audio 20 unit (currently with an ipod setup).
- Is there any point of adding AUX to the equation?
- Is it possible to add AUX with the ipod in place?

Is the radio antenna connector also the same or does it require an additional adapter?

Now moving on to the GPS antenna, the best place for it seems to be on top of the instrument cluster under the dash board - correct?

- Can someone recommend a reasonably priced antenna? the genuine units are favourable, but the price seems a little steep. I'll be happy with a good aftermarket GPS antenna.

Now I'm not sure of removing the cluster - all I know is that the front panelling comes off & you're left with four exposed torx screws.
- How do you remove the front panelling without producing any damage?
- Are there any step by step guides?
- Will I need special cluster removal tools?

I'm aware that the car will require coding afterwords to tell the internal system that a command unit has been installed - is this a simple process, or are there any tricks involved which some may not know about?

Lastly - any additional advice / information would be perfect, even if its on the topics which have already been covered.

Thanks

Comand

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63, SL55, A150, X5, Raptor, ZX10, ZRX1100, Mini, RD350B, RD250B
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to retrofit a Comand unit to my 2006 w209 CLK (Face Lift). I have done a lot of reading on the topic but want to make sure that I'm 100% familiar with the process & know what I'm doing whilst at it - without having any concerns or uncertainties.

I'll only be choosing a unit which is from a w209 CLK (Face Lift) & comes with the original navigation disc.

Now - I'm familiar with the dash disassembling process & I'm pretty sure that the wiring loom stays the same as it was on the Audio 20 unit (currently with an ipod setup).
- Is there any point of adding AUX to the equation?
- Is it possible to add AUX with the ipod in place?

Is the radio antenna connector also the same or does it require an additional adapter?

Now moving on to the GPS antenna, the best place for it seems to be on top of the instrument cluster under the dash board - correct?

- Can someone recommend a reasonably priced antenna? the genuine units are favourable, but the price seems a little steep. I'll be happy with a good aftermarket GPS antenna.

Now I'm not sure of removing the cluster - all I know is that the front panelling comes off & you're left with four exposed torx screws.
- How do you remove the front panelling without producing any damage?
- Are there any step by step guides?
- Will I need special cluster removal tools?

I'm aware that the car will require coding afterwords to tell the internal system that a command unit has been installed - is this a simple process, or are there any tricks involved which some may not know about?

Lastly - any additional advice / information would be perfect, even if its on the topics which have already been covered.

Thanks

Make sure you get an NTG2 comand with part number starting A209 ... .. ..

AUX can easily be added when you do the retrofit. If your ipod kit is one of the newer Mercedes ones then the AUX and ipod can co-exist. The ipod interface grabs the aux if you plug an ipod in.

Radio (FM) connector is the same no need for a converter.

Best place for GPS antenna is under the dash ontop of the clocks.

(Actually writing this, im sure I went through this with someone on the phone yesterday asking the very same questions)

The best GPS antenna is the Mercedes one. It wont drop out like the after market ones tend to. It also comes ready to install in the right place.

Cluster surround unclips towards the driver. Move the wheel as far out and down as you can first. Undo the four torx 20 screws and rotate the clocks towards you and out.

You can do pretty much the entire job with a torx20 screwdriver.

Have a look at www.mercupgrades.com for guides.

Yes it is a simple process but then ive done literally hundreds of them.......

coding is needed for the instrument cluster to show the navigation display. The comand should be coded for the MOST bus to properly reflect what is on it. If the comand comes from a car which had HK and you dont have HK then you will get no sound at all until the comand is coded.

OP
L

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Make sure you get an NTG2 comand with part number starting A209 ... .. ..

Cluster surround unclips towards the driver. Move the wheel as far out and down as you can first. Undo the four torx 20 screws and rotate the clocks towards you and out.

Many thanks for all the advice! It will defiantly be a 209 part number.

Would I need one of these to clip the cluster surround out?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121284338915?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Or do I just grab the surround - if so where from (bottom)?

2004-mercedes-benz-clk-class-2-door-cabriolet-amg-instrument-cluster_100262592_m.jpg

What do you mean by rotating the clocks? pointing the cluster up/down before pulling?

Many thanks

Comand

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63, SL55, A150, X5, Raptor, ZX10, ZRX1100, Mini, RD350B, RD250B
Many thanks for all the advice! It will defiantly be a 209 part number.

Would I need one of these to clip the cluster surround out?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121284338915?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Or do I just grab the surround - if so where from (bottom)?

2004-mercedes-benz-clk-class-2-door-cabriolet-amg-instrument-cluster_100262592_m.jpg

What do you mean by rotating the clocks? pointing the cluster up/down before pulling?

Many thanks

You do not need any special tools to get the surround off. start at the top, pull it a little way down and then towards you. do the same with the bottom.

Once the four toex screws are released the top of the cluster tips forward towards you. Then it comes out.

OP
L

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Thanks for all the help guys, I have one more question - so this is what my cluster will look like, where is the best place to stick the antenna on top of the cluster - don't want it stuck on to find out that the cluster isn't going back in...

809998590_tp.jpg

OP
L

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Right, the unit is installed & coded, many thanks for all your advice. Just a quick question, I've got the original MB ipod kit installed, which was there prior to comand - the ipod only seems to display as aux, with no track names on the comand, I'm pretty sure I've heard that its supposed to be controllable from comand - unlike the audio 20 which has to be controlled via steering wheel buttons?

Any advice on this one?

OP
L

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Also have a question on the start up volume level, comand seems to revert to a default volume on start up rather than previously selected volume.

Is this normal? can it be set to remember previously set volume?

I've tried setting a lower volume level, switching the unit off & then on again reverts it to the higher volume.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes this is something that many object to, it always comes on at a preset level, I do not know of any way to change this.

OP
L

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Yes this is something that many object to, it always comes on at a preset level, I do not know of any way to change this.

Ok, glad I'm not the only one... would be nice if it could remember the volume though...

Any insight on the ipod front? is it supposed to be shown as aux or could it be controlled from the comand unit?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not easy for me as they are all different, I have my DAB on an AUX and the display just says AUX, with a true Ipod connection it may well display the info, I just am not sure.

OP
L

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Not easy for me as they are all different, I have my DAB on an AUX and the display just says AUX, with a true Ipod connection it may well display the info, I just am not sure.

Thanks Malc, hopefully someone will have an insight into this - its hooked up via the genuine MB ipod kit, I was just under the impression that ipod was controllable from comand not audio 20 (where you have to use steering controls).

Not sure where I've had that impression from though haha...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thinking about this it will not be possible as there is no communication with an Ipod other than for the audio signal.

OP
L

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Thinking about this it will not be possible as there is no communication with an Ipod other than for the audio signal.
I was thinking the same, but..... How does it manage to get the text onto cluster & allow controls via steering wheel lol...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry to say that after being in the Audio trade all my life I now mainly drive in silence, I have never used an ipod:(:(

OP
L

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Sorry to say that after being in the Audio trade all my life I now mainly drive in silence, I have never used an ipod:(:(

Surely there must be a few people here with Ipod kits hooked up to their NTG2.. all on holiday by the looks of response rate :D

OP
L

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
One more question has raised... I'm on the 2006 disc V6.3 Version.

What are the benefits/gains from updating to a later/latest software & disc on the NTG2, is it purely an updated map or is something else added?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Never looked at these things, but reading the install instructions I see the optical MOST passes through the Ipod radio adapter, so I would have thought that all info was displayed.

OP
L

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Never looked at these things, but reading the install instructions I see the optical MOST passes through the Ipod radio adapter, so I would have thought that all info was displayed.

Could you mail those over to me please Malc?

My emails is my username @hotmail.com

The questions keep on coming...

Also have the green video connector at the back of the comand, wondering how that could be utilised...?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You should have it.

OP
L

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
You should have it.

Thanks Malc, it doesn't seem to mention anything about the comand controls - the only thing I can see; is relating to the steering wheel buttons & cluster display.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom