CLK200 Audio - Total Beginner (Sorry)

paulf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Soft Top
Hi All,

Just got a new CLK200 Cabriolet. Never had a Mercedes before (or a 'new' car for that matter) and:- Its absolutely wicked! (Sorta feel like I've arrived somehow :p)

But...
Its got an Audio 20 installed. Which is ok but thats it, its just ok.
Since I'm new here I've searched the forum and the web for a double din system. Trouble is, I've no idea what you all mean with things like 'W202' etc. Im guessing that these are the real names of the cars?

I've read up bit on the COMAND thing and that sounds good but...When I change cars (in 3 years time, almost certainly to another mercedes) the COMAND may not be compatible with the new car.

What I'd like is: A Double Din Unit that does....

Play CD, MP3's etc
Bluetooth
Sat Nav
Rear Camera
(DVD if possible)
USB Connection
Works with the CLK200 Steering Controls

Please, can anyone tell me if this is possible? What I should be looking at etc?
I read somewhere about CanBus? Does my car have CanBus? or something else?
Seems to be lots of double din units but I can't nail down what'll work with my car and what won't.

Appologies for the long post, but I really want to get this right and, as I'm so pleased with the car I don't want it spoiled with a bad unit, or ending up paying a fortune to have a badly chosen unit fitted to the car. I also would like to be able to have the Audio 20 put back in at a later date.

Many thanks in advance.
(A very happy Paul)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi & welcome,
Alfie a member on here can install comand for you as that is the most integrated system available however not sure if he could get a rear view camera working on it but I'm sure he would try. He is quite a long way from you in Surrey though.
The system I installed in our Caravelle would suit however it wouldn't interface to the steering wheel.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Your best bet is an after market hifi place where they guys are real enthusiasts. Pioneer/panasonic etc make the kind of thing you're looking for. You won't get that functionality from a command system and to put it in perspecitve, to fit a command will cost you around £2000 against a top of the line after market setup for around £500 with more functionality. There will be no problem putting the audio 20 back when you sell.
As far as interfacing, most can to a greater or lesser extent but their capabilities change all the time and there are probably proffesional kits we don't know about.
as a taster
http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=137&cat=Steering+Wheel+Control+Interfaces
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERC...temQQimsxZ20090616?IMSfp=TL090616032011r22163

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom