Clk320 lpg autogas conversion

esrasgod

Reaction score
hi fellas, have searched for autogas conversions on this site and the posts seem to be fairly old! i've just bought a 53plate clk and am already on first name terms at most local petrol stations. so, is gas conversion a viable option? one post says that mercedes don't recommend it as it may cause medium to long term problems, is this still there stand point? has anyone converted a 320 and how did it go? any other potential downsides? thanks, esrasgod.

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
hi fellas, have searched for autogas conversions on this site and the posts seem to be fairly old! i've just bought a 53plate clk and am already on first name terms at most local petrol stations. so, is gas conversion a viable option? one post says that mercedes don't recommend it as it may cause medium to long term problems, is this still there stand point? has anyone converted a 320 and how did it go? any other potential downsides? thanks, esrasgod.

Hi and welcome.

I can't speak for MB engines but I had my Jeep converted with a Prins LPG system when I bought it 2.5 years ago with 88k miles on the clock. I've done 21k miles with it now and until last Monday it never missed a beat. The LPG system stopped working and it turns out to be due to lack of maintenance on my part (didn't change the filters!) :Oops: A quick service on Saturday should see the system working again though.

On a vehicle that only does about 16mpg, the conversion has made running costs affordable. Yes the conversion cost was expensive but I factored that into the cost of purchasing the vehicle.

There are those on here that don't approve of LPG but I would say that if you plan to keep the car, go for it!

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
lpg

there are a few web sites on lpg, i think it cost about £2000 for a conversion.

Bristol Cars have been using them since 1977, they do have long legs, about 50 mph/1000 revs

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Mercedes do in fact make gas engined E class using the twin pulse supercharged engine.

It is Natural gas as opposed to LPG.

Main markets are Germany and Netherlands although RHD versions are sold in Singapore.

OP
E

esrasgod

Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys, think i need to do more studying.

cromarty

Reaction score
i hadmy ml320 converted. it went all right for the first three weeks and four months later it is no longer running on gas and the manufacturer doesn't know why. it has been something that had i known at the beginning i would not have had done. i think it could be a bit of an unfortunate situation but for me it's a nightmare. i think there are more positive stories than negative. in the end the choice is yours.

hairyg

Reaction score
Website
www.vegetarian-and-low-calorie-recipes.com
Your Mercedes
R129 (1994) SL320
I ran a W202 C200 for 70,000 miles on LPG with no problems attributable to the fuel. I have since had a R129 SL320 (straight 6 engine) that I had converted to LPG when I first bought it at 72,000 miles. It has now done 121,000, again without any problems from the fuel.

The conversion cost just over £2000 in 2005 and I have saved that several times over in fuel costs. There are calculators on the web that will show you how many miles you need to do to get your money back on the conversion.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
I ran a W202 C200 for 70,000 miles on LPG with no problems attributable to the fuel. I have since had a R129 SL320 (straight 6 engine) that I had converted to LPG when I first bought it at 72,000 miles. It has now done 121,000, again without any problems from the fuel.

The conversion cost just over £2000 in 2005 and I have saved that several times over in fuel costs. There are calculators on the web that will show you how many miles you need to do to get your money back on the conversion.

Richard

Which system do you have on it please ?

hairyg

Reaction score
Website
www.vegetarian-and-low-calorie-recipes.com
Your Mercedes
R129 (1994) SL320
Richard

Which system do you have on it please ?

The R129 has the Prinz multi point injection system. I find this much better than the Landi system I had on the W202. It pays to have it serviced once a year or so as the filters can get blocked but this isn't expensive.

C200KO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200KO (W203)
Lpg

I have an LPG converted C200KO W203 ... I bought it already converted about 4.5 years ago. ... The LPG has never been a problem .. a few other things have needed help ..but I took out AA repair insurance cover .. It costs about £18/month if I remember correctly ..and its paid out a few times ... once to trace a fault in the alarm system which took a week to track down ( so probably paid for itseslf then) The LPG has a slightly lower calorific value than petrol so the MPG is reduced .. but hey at about 60p a litre who cares :O) ..... however I do remember when LPG was 29p/litre .....but then I sound like my dad :O) I was lucky to get the reg No C200KO for £400 and the car looks really cool being silver and body kitted so I would have to say it's the best overall car I've owned.....but I have to confess to wondering when it will break big time....cos it's a MB.

ama singh

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 W211, W213 C220 CDi, W211 E500 LPG, W204 250CDi
Hi, I would certainly recommend the latest multi point injection Prins system - I had this on my W210 E320, covered ~ 60K miles and it never missed a beat - filter need to be kept on top of.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom