CLK320 to a E320?

Ray_Elliott

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 SL380
Hi, first post so be gentle! :D

I have a 2000 CLK320 Avantgarde looking fabulous in mineral green but has the usual rust issues, i would love to get this back up to the standard it should be...but the economics are making me think twice :confused:
Would changing to a pristine E320 coupe around the £8000 mark be a good move or bad?
My CLK now adds up to £7500 buying and repairs so far, with probably another few thousand required to achieve a high standard, mostly to the bodywork.

Any advice welcome as i don't know a great deal about the E320s

Many thanks for help and patience!

Ray

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Hi, first post so be gentle! :D

I have a 2000 CLK320 Avantgarde looking fabulous in mineral green but has the usual rust issues, i would love to get this back up to the standard it should be...but the economics are making me think twice :confused:
Would changing to a pristine E320 coupe around the £8000 mark be a good move or bad?
My CLK now adds up to £7500 buying and repairs so far, with probably another few thousand required to achieve a high standard, mostly to the bodywork.

Any advice welcome as i don't know a great deal about the E320s

Many thanks for help and patience!

Ray

The safest way is to move to a car produced in 2003 or later as that is when most MB's became fully galvanised on all steel panels. See this thread: -

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=23630
N.B. You need to ask the build date not just the date of first registration. Good luck.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The safest way is to move to a car produced in 2003 or later as that is when most MB's became fully galvanised on all steel panels. See this thread: -

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=23630
N.B. You need to ask the build date not just the date of first registration. Good luck.
The E320 Coupe that the OP will be looking at will be a 124 based one. They have generally been looked after very well and the owners on this forum love them. They are however getting a little long in the tooth now so I would read up on this forum and really go through any prospective purchase with a fine tooth comb.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The E320 Coupe that the OP will be looking at will be a 124 based one. They have generally been looked after very well and the owners on this forum love them. They are however getting a little long in the tooth now so I would read up on this forum and really go through any prospective purchase with a fine tooth comb.

Nice succinct reply BC - bit dental though? :rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Many dealers ask the £8k figure on good cars, but the same cars can be purchased privately for under ½ of that price.

OK the dealers that sell them have done all of the work, mainly on new front wings etc, but you could do the same with a huge saving. They still drive very well by todays standards, the only down side is that they are highly geared, making them not so economical as later cars, but it is only the difference in fuel consumption and on say 5k per year only works out at £100. The late cars are very fast and well appointed.

OP
R

Ray_Elliott

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 SL380
oops...only just seen replies! Many thanks to all for that, currently looking at E320 Sportline cabriolets but not many to choose from!

Regards
Ray

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
E320 coupe is one tasty car but ask yourself this question....

Would you get bored of the interior/dash of E coupe in coming years?

I have CLK with a few rust issues here n there but I will be getting them fixed soon and in my eye when we buy a car we get to know the weak points of our car and the reliability. So if ur CLK is reliable then why change? why not consider getting the work done and keeping it?

Although E320 would put a smile on anyones face everytime you look at it and when you drive it, I would have thought it wouldnt be very practicle as a daily car and you wouldnt always appreciate the classicness of it all times

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom