CLK320 W209 convertible roof conundrum

Mikeclk320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 2003 320
Hi All

I'm a newbie to Mercedes ownership, had it 2 weeks and am loving it. Just one thing that's puzzling me. As per the picture below, there is a cable hanging down from the roof in the middle of the rear windows. It looks as though it may be something to do with a tensioning cable but I can't work out where it's come from. I can see lots of mentions of tensioning cables and springs for the W208 model...but nothing for the W209, nor any spares. Please can anyone shed any light on it for me?

Thanks Mike

clk roof (480x640).jpg

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
Hi Mike,

Whats the cable made from?

The tension cables are metal, whereas that looks like rope?

If its rope it might be one that hold the headlining in place.

I would fold the hood half way, then have a careful look under the headlining both sides.

OP
M

Mikeclk320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 2003 320
Aahh - thank you. It is rope rather than metal and now that I look at it - the outside edges of the headlining are drooping a bit more than they should. Once it stops snowing/raining here I'll get it out of the garage and take a look. Hopefully I can work out how to re-rope it.

Thanks again.

OP
M

Mikeclk320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 2003 320
Thanks GlosRichCLK! Took a while to be able to get round to it - but you were right, the ropes should have been riveted to the frame but the rivets had corroded and sheared off flush with the frame which made it difficult to spot. Drilled and re-riveted and all ok now.

Thanks

Mike

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom