CLK430 Fuel starvation

Ricardoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK430 2000
I Drove the car for 2 miles and it died on me, engine turns and rumbles for 5 seconds then dies. Towed home and tried the car the next day and was working perfectly - drove for two miles then same thing again, towed home and started the car, worked perfectly again - daren't try it again or Green Flag might show me the red flag. Any ideas what might be causing this intermittent problem? Fuel pump? relay? injectors?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Few things, Crank sensor but doubt it as this normally occurs when hot, First make sure you have fuel in it, and the guage is not reading wrong, when was the fuel filter last changed? Best to check with fuel pressure guage.

rmr1

Reaction score
I think you need to search the engine forum for CPS - crankshaft position sensor (also the US websites) Your car is just the right age and probable mileage for this to fail.

JohnDalmeny

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI/ 2008/ 3.0
Yesterday my CLS 320 CDI 2008 3.0 deisel model did something similar. I was driving on a fairly level road and the engine suddenly cut out. The Mercedes recovery man said he'd had a similar problem and thought it was a fuel problem. The fuel guage indicated just under 1/4 and the distance meter showed 82 miles left to go. He took car and me to garage, filled to 1/2 tank and hey presto the car started fine! He reset the on-board computer to turn the engine management light on the dash off (reset the computer) with a hand-held device.

I've now booked the car in to be checked by my local MB dealer .... the Recovery man thinks it's a software fault. So, we'll see what MB have to say.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Hope that helps

Reginald

Reaction score
Website
www.prestigecarfinance.com
Your Mercedes
320 CDI CLK Coupe W209
E320 Cab Running Probs

Hi Guys this sounds like a problem I am having on my E320 cab....it starts and can run a tad lumpy...warms up and goes fine and then it can cut out while driving or at lights etc...but 5 seconds later seesm fine again and its a speradic fault ? aslo it can seems stay in 3 rd gear and not change into 4th ( top gear ) this means it revs higher than normal on motorways etc...again speradic ??

OP
R

Ricardoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK430 2000
Thank you

Thanks guys, i guess i have to get the car onto a diagnostic system and will let you know the result

OP
R

Ricardoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK430 2000
Cps

Yes, it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor - £75 for the part and only £220 for labour Ouch! not bad for a 20 minute job!!!

Thanks once again for everbody's input

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Did i read that right,????? only £220 labour!!!!!! to replace a crank sensor!!!!! you need to find a cheaper garage!!

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
OP
R

Ricardoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK430 2000
And now there's a small oil leak from the cam - quote £400 - surely this is just a new gasket - maybe i need to get out of London to get these jobs done?

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
And now there's a small oil leak from the cam - quote £400 - surely this is just a new gasket - maybe i need to get out of London to get these jobs done?

Absolutely. Well worth making an arrangement with an Indy, have a complete review of the car (inspection), perhaps to coincide with a service (?) and get any items of this sort fixed at that time.

A number of forum members have done this immediately after buying a car and all have enthused about the outcome - plus the feeling of confidence that a competent person has looked the car over.

I am sure any of the Indies will be happy to accommodate you (although some are now very busy) but a trip down to somewhere like MBS for the day will pay for itself when compared with the labour charge for your cps sensor alone.

(NB, I have no financial interest in providing this advice. Other Indies are available).

Top Bottom