CLK55 brakes

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It's amazing what crap people will put up with, if they think they are saving money... :rolleyes:

True, the EBC pads are much more expensive than OE, perhaps Gordon that bought my SL with them fitted would care to comment.

Andy has fitted a much heavier engine to his car so maybe the brakes are not up to this.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I've never used after-market brakes (on my Mercedes) and wouldn't bother either. I don't drive the car on the track and I don't have any problem with brake dust, so the system as designed is the best IMO.

Last edited:

CafeMB

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S320 CDI
True, the EBC pads are much more expensive than OE, perhaps Gordon that bought my SL with them fitted would care to comment.

Andy has fitted a much heavier engine to his car so maybe the brakes are not up to this.

I thought the engine weights were comparative, only the displacement is different. Otherwise when the original C55's build on the C43 platform were made they would have needed considerably beefier braking set ups. These were not upgraded. In Andy's case his brakes have been upgraded, the same brakes being present on the CLK55 as he's already stated. So I'm guessing you're in the wrong on this one.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought the engine weights were comparative, only the displacement is different. Otherwise when the original C55's build on the C43 platform were made they would have needed considerably beefier braking set ups. These were not upgraded. In Andy's case his brakes have been upgraded, the same brakes being present on the CLK55 as he's already stated. So I'm guessing you're in the wrong on this one.

So pleased to see you jump on the chance of making me wrong, but I did say "maybe" and this makes you wrong :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So pleased to see that your ego can't take a battering when someone knows something you dont

EGO not at all,,some like EBC some do not,, but you cannot have someone coming and just use the word crap. I do have the right to say that I love them, just as someone else can say they hate them, and I have never had the problems that he talks of. Some love Audi and BMW, I am indifferent to their choice but I feel they are missing out on what a Mercedes can offer. So in many respects the same as EBC brakes.

Now also tell me young man, where in this thread does someone know something that I do not :confused::confused:

Last edited:

CafeMB

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S320 CDI
EGO not at all,,some like EBC some do not,, but you cannot have someone coming and just use the word crap. I do have the right to say that I love them, just as someone else can say they hate them, and I have never had the problems that he talks of. Some love Audi and BMW, I am indifferent to their choice but I feel they are missing out on what a Mercedes can offer. So in many respects the same as EBC brakes.

Now also tell me young man, where in this thread does someone know something that I do not :confused::confused:

Nobody used the word crap without reason, now, old man... Andy pointed out that he 'from personal experience' thought they were crap because he had used them, the same as another member who posted his thoughts. What seems to be coming across in your posts is that you are simply dismissing other people's ideas though they are valid points to push yours ahead of theirs. They have their experience you have yours, but somehow theirs aren't important. Andy stated that his brakes were from a CLK 55. He also has a 55 engine. You said his brakes maybe inadequate. If he has a 55 engine and brakes to suit, presumably his brakes have the stopping power to do the job. In essence this was where you are wrong, and it doesnt matter how many times you try and hammer the issue. It's ok to admit you're wrong now and then, it means you're looking at the bigger picture. ;)

So glad I could help.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nobody used the word crap without reason, now, old man... Andy pointed out that he 'from personal experience' thought they were crap because he had used them, the same as another member who posted his thoughts. What seems to be coming across in your posts is that you are simply dismissing other people's ideas though they are valid points to push yours ahead of theirs. They have their experience you have yours, but somehow theirs aren't important. Andy stated that his brakes were from a CLK 55. He also has a 55 engine. You said his brakes maybe inadequate. If he has a 55 engine and brakes to suit, presumably his brakes have the stopping power to do the job. In essence this was where you are wrong, and it doesnt matter how many times you try and hammer the issue. It's ok to admit you're wrong now and then, it means you're looking at the bigger picture. ;)

So glad I could help.

You are only here to cause trouble, you have posted nothing on the actual subject,,,
Now tell me if I have the EBC pads fitted, they do not make any noise, they stop the car better than with the OE pads as they have more bite, the wheels stay clean and they have a long working life it would seem from this that I am not the one with any problem.

Now another member comes on and uses the meaningless word crap what ever that means, in a heavily modified car and he does not get on with them, how does that make me wrong, my cars are all as they left the factory and are kept to a high standard.

I have said nothing wrong here, and I have no reason to back down, I did not tell Andy to fit them in the first place.

Tell me please,,how can I be wrong on something that I have not said or done,,

Tell you what, why not have another go at me tomorrow on something else:D

CafeMB

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S320 CDI
Malcolm, it appears I've hit a raw nerve. I dont even know why you're still harping on about it. I didnt say you told Andy to fit them. I am merely pointing out that he has used them and has his opinions on them. I havent shot him down so why should you?

If you can't handle someone opposing your views maybe you should take a chill pill and take things in the spirit they're put across? Or should we continue to go round in circles......

I have used EBC and personally have had problems on one car I previously owned. Andy has had a previous. Now because I havent had a problem on my current car, does that mean that his car is inferior to mine because his is modifed?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm, it appears I've hit a raw nerve. I dont even know why you're still harping on about it. I didnt say you told Andy to fit them. I am merely pointing out that he has used them and has his opinions on them. I havent shot him down so why should you?

If you can't handle someone opposing your views maybe you should take a chill pill and take things in the spirit they're put across? Or should we continue to go round in circles......

I have used EBC and personally have had problems on one car I previously owned. Andy has had a previous. Now because I havent had a problem on my current car, does that mean that his car is inferior to mine because his is modifed?

Tell me where I have shot Andy down please, or said anything out of line, again I can read quite well and you are only on the thread as a trouble maker

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Play nicely or I will remove your ball and bats.;)

CafeMB

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S320 CDI
So going back to brakes, Andy, did you experience any problems with your CLK55 brake set up, I've heard mixed feelings about them

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
CafeMB is quite correct that though I have had a 55 engine fitted and it is slightly heavier (very slightly I might add), I never considered the brakes needed upgrading anymore than the "Super Duper" (tongue firmly in cheek) EBC Red Stuff pads (reccommended on here or the other forum can,t remember which it was a long time ago) and Goodridge lines and a freshly filled master cylinder would do for them, as they are the same brakes as 210 E55 and the 208 CLK55 AMG (which I mentioned earlier in the thread).
He did,nt jump in because you were wrong, you were misquoting/not read the thread properly.
This information is all superfluous anyway because the Red stuff pads had been fitted and had started being "noisy" (not squeeling) when I still had the 43 engine fitted, and the redstuff pads were cheaper than OEM, about 20-25% IIRC.
I only posted about my issues so as to give the O/P a balanced view from someone that has similar or exactly (depending whether his car is a 208 or 209) the same brakes as himself.
Regarding whether they were fitted correctly, well I have absolutly no doubt in my mind that they were fitted 100% correctly, he would,nt of been fitting them if he had,nt had.

Last edited:

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Whilst on the subject of brakes!
I have a customer with an E55K pushing 600 horses. He drives it very hard ! We fitted genuine pads and discs at just over 60k. We replaced them about a month ago at 121,000. The pads still had a few thousand left in them but he didnt like the heat cracks appearing on the discs!

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
I've always been an advocate of MB pads as they have a good balance of adjustability & bite. You can modulate the braking effort very precisely with them which means you can drive smoothly. My experiences with aftermarket pads on MBs have been uniformly bad

I've used EBC Green Stuff, Ferodo, and Hawk pads on my Triumph TR4 when racing. The Green Stuff pads were very average, Ferodo OK and the Hawk pads were really positive and durable. They worked really well on the road too

Personally I think the success of EBC pads is down to relentless marketing to owners who aren't in the position of being able to test brake pads. People who can - that includes lots of racers - seem to try EBC and move on. I think that speaks for itself

Nick Froome

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Whilst on the subject of brakes!
I have a customer with an E55K pushing 600 horses. He drives it very hard ! We fitted genuine pads and discs at just over 60k. We replaced them about a month ago at 121,000. The pads still had a few thousand left in them but he didnt like the heat cracks appearing on the discs!

The front disc on my SL all crazed all over at 30k miles, when I changed them I fitted the EBC red ceramic pads, when I sold the car at 64k miles the new disc were still fine, as were the red pads, the rear on the car were original and still good when I sold it, I had the red on the rear as well.

So it is possible to do huge mileages with any pads and disc.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've always been an advocate of MB pads as they have a good balance of adjustability & bite. You can modulate the braking effort very precisely with them which means you can drive smoothly. My experiences with aftermarket pads on MBs have been uniformly bad

I've used EBC Green Stuff, Ferodo, and Hawk pads on my Triumph TR4 when racing. The Green Stuff pads were very average, Ferodo OK and the Hawk pads were really positive and durable. They worked really well on the road too

Personally I think the success of EBC pads is down to relentless marketing to owners who aren't in the position of being able to test brake pads. People who can - that includes lots of racers - seem to try EBC and move on. I think that speaks for itself

Nick Froome

To be truthful Nick I have never seen any marketing from EBC, I only heard about them on Benzworld where members liked them very much, this was back in 1995 and since then in the USA there some other companies are making similar pads to compete.

What are there now 5 different formula's now (colours) its very easy for people to imagine that their car needs the wrong ones, like the black racing pads that are impossible to use in a road car, well you can but it does take some effort on the pedal till they are hot, but no way to keep them hot on a public road.

When TMD do the dust free version for mine I will try them though I have no complaints at all with the new formula red

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
The front disc on my SL all crazed all over at 30k miles, when I changed them I fitted the EBC red ceramic pads, when I sold the car at 64k miles the new disc were still fine, as were the red pads, the rear on the car were original and still good when I sold it, I had the red on the rear as well.

So it is possible to do huge mileages with any pads and disc.

In my personal experience it is not possible to do huge mileages on ANY pads and discs. I offered my opinion to the op as have you Malcolm. I cannot argue against the quality of any EBC products as I have never opted to use them.

And I never will

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In my personal experience it is not possible to do huge mileages on ANY pads and discs. I offered my opinion to the op as have you Malcolm. I cannot argue against the quality of any EBC products as I have never opted to use them.

And I never will

No indies do as they pride themselves on using OE products, once TMD have the full range in dust free pads some of the stupid remarks will hopefully cease to be :D

OP
R

rlw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK55
So thats not a resounding yes or no to EBC discs and/or pads but I have given a few members cause to be argumentative and grumpy - sorry for that. I'm quite willing to go with OE but if there is a better alternative, I would prefer to go that way. Presumably, there are other choices such as Ferodo or Mintex on pads too. I think I will pursue my quest in private henceforth.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom