CLK55 Cat

Parf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK55 A209 (5.4 V8)
Hi all,

I have read the codes from my 2004 CLK55 and I have a pending fault that the catalytic converter on bank 1 and 2 are under threshold. I'm not surprised as the car is 15 years old and they don't last forever.

I'm having problems finding a replacement as they are incorporated into the downpipe so it looks like I will have to have a new exhaust fabricated. Does anyone know a company that produces downpipes with the cats incorporated. I have found a few US websites but their cats aren't suitable for our "dirty" fuel as the precious metal coating is less.

Does anyone have experience with cats or have changed theirs from OEM to aftermarket. Does anyone know the cpsi of the original. If I'm changing it I may as well go for an upgrade but I don't want to end up failing emissions at MOT time.

I've had a look at the exhaust and it seems restrictive as it has two 3" (ish) pipes from each bank going into a Y connector which then has the same size single pipe exiting. Surely that's a bottle neck and the output pipe should be wider.

Thanks

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Maybe a company like "power flow" who make exhausts might be able to advise ? (I think that's there name , someone on here recently had a CLS320cdi exhaust made/altered in the last couple of weeks

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Is there nothing about from a breakers etc?

They are available from MB at 800ish +VAT

You can get some aftermarket cats welded in, but due to their close proximity to the downpipes, you will probably spend 500-800 all in with the cats and the work, as most people will want to make a jig for downpipes.

OP
P

Parf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK55 A209 (5.4 V8)
I'm trying to stay away from breakers as the car is old so all the parts I get will probably have limited life. The CAT is easy to get in a weld on style. Milltek, Jetex and Magnaflow do them, although I think Magnaflow is American but there are UK distributors so as long as they are EURO compliant should be ok.

Near me there are a few Longlife franchises but so far they don't seem interested.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I'm trying to stay away from breakers as the car is old so all the parts I get will probably have limited life. The CAT is easy to get in a weld on style. Milltek, Jetex and Magnaflow do them, although I think Magnaflow is American but there are UK distributors so as long as they are EURO compliant should be ok.

Near me there are a few Longlife franchises but so far they don't seem interested.

Cat's typically last 200K, unless there has been a problem in the cars history (misfires, high oil consumption etc). I would not be too concerned with a breakers sourced part.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As above, PowerFlow will be able to sort you out though they may want you to source the cats . Magnaflow have a decent rep.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom