CLS 2007 W219 wedge bulb side lights removal help

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
The lights bulbs on the CLS are all original and need replacement/improvement.

I know access is tight and nigh on impossible but, I think I can do the dipped beam without too much hardship. However, I am starting off with the side lights (w5w). Removing the high beam bulb means I can get my fingertip onto the black wedge bulb holder but cannot move it. Does this just pull out like most wedge bulb holders or does it need to be turned etc? Or, are they any tricks to doing this easily?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

I know access is tight and nigh on impossible but, I think I can do the dipped beam without too much hardship. However, I am starting off with the side lights (w5w). Removing the high beam bulb means I can get my fingertip onto the black wedge bulb holder but cannot move it. Does this just pull out like most wedge bulb holders or does it need to be turned etc? Or, are they any tricks to doing this easily?
Can't help with the bulbs , but when I had trouble last year I eventually looked in the cars manual and found how to do it on the main beam . Not sure if sidelights will be detailed but worth checking ?

Reactions: DSK
OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did look at the handbook (been trying to get at these little sods here and there over the past 2 weeks) but, that wasn't much use. The high beam is no problem and neither should the dipped beam be by looks of it. Its just the little side lights.

I'm going to buy an angled plier and try that, hoping that should grip or tug the black holder out or be able to turn it. Other than removing the bumper and headlight this looks my only option.

Ben2057

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls320 Cdi W219 2006

They just pull out, just changed mine this morning, use some long nose pliers

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had a go at it and you're right, I had to buy some long nose pliers.

Sadly after all that effort... the Philips T10 LED bulbs, went between dim and bright slowly. So I put the old ones back in for now until I get a decoder or another LED side light bulb that just works.

Dropped in a fresh set of Osram halogens for now in the dipped beam as it felt like mission impossible driving back from an Airport run at 2am compared to my other cars which all run HID kits.

Ben2057

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls320 Cdi W219 2006
Had a go at it and you're right, I had to buy some long nose pliers.

Sadly after all that effort... the Philips T10 LED bulbs, went between dim and bright slowly. So I put the old ones back in for now until I get a decoder or another LED side light bulb that just works.

Dropped in a fresh set of Osram halogens for now in the dipped beam as it felt like mission impossible driving back from an Airport run at 2am compared to my other cars which all run HID kits.
Bought my led sidelight bulbs from Halfords work perfect, have bought some previously off flebay but they packed in after only a few weeks.

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've been using the Philips T10 w5w units for several years without issue so was a little surprised the side light turns out not be be plug and play in this instance.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a nip down to halfords next week.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom