CLS 320 Engine running rough

josh1

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 Cdi 2006
Hi everyone and thank you in advance for any advice offered.

I own a 2006 CLS 320 (diesel) with some peculiar running issues.

1) Intermittently - On acceleration there is no acceleration for the first 1cm of throttle depression. Only a knocking noise from the engine. Pushing past this the car will accelerate well but seems to struggle / seem like it doesn't really want to go. Other times it will run like a dream.

2) Rough idle - also intermittent and coincides with problem number 1. The engine vibrates more than usual and can be felt through the car body. The exhausts shake too.

3) Cold starting problem - Recently replaced glow plug control unit following failure and fault code / dashboard light. Will turnover maybe 5 to 10 times, start and then produce a small amount of white smoke from the exhaust on first start of the day. Starts fine for the rest of the day.

4) Rumble from exhaust - if i tap the accelerator and certain RPM i get a resonance rumble / reverberation from the left exhaust (I think). Also reverberates / resonates at 2000RPM when accelerating.

Been on STAR at an indie with no codes displayed.

I'm thinking maybe an injector is dying?

Many thanks for any insight guys :)

Josh

Last edited:

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Does sound like an injector. You could have a leak off test done

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom